Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashing problems.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Slim_Wanky

Slim_Wanky

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

So I just updated my drivers, of my GTX 670 not too sure if I updated my BIOS drivers, because I did download them but I was rendering a video and didn't want to restart my pc to restart my render. Anyways that's not the point, my point is after I updated my drivers I had crashing problems, not just during games, but whenever, opening files, or just randomly, usually at night however. I had that problem before but my friend told me to defrag my HDD&SSD and scan my whole PC and it worked until the most recent driver update for my 670. I have a feeling it's due to my ram possibly, because I had a 16GB kit but one of my sticks died and for about 8 months i've been using one stick and I never suspected it until now. I have a feeling my problems are very similar to this guy's problems: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526679/computer-crashing-during-games/ 

My speccy is here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sPfnCMQ5aclQ34lu0c7rnoZ 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

Speccy agrees with you - you only have one stick of working RAM !  If the dead stick is still in the computer you would be best to remove it. Also, according to Speccy, your installed BIOS is v0701 of 16/07/2012 and the install date for your OS is 06/01/2013 so you may not have updated your BIOS. Check the version number for the update you downloaded - go back to the ASUS web-site if necessary. In my experience, admittedly limited in this area, updating a BIOS is not something you do unawares !

It could be that the updated drivers for your video card are causing the problem - any chance you could re-install the older driver set and see if that improves things ?  It is not generally necessary to update video, audio, etc. drivers on a regular basis until some component is giving trouble. Unlike OS updates, drivers do not constitute any sort of security risk, so, good advice is, if it's working, leave well alone.

I had a look at the other topic you quoted. One suggestion made excellent general sense. If you have another video card lying around install that and see if the problem disappears. If it does, it points the finger at your video card. It's always a good idea if you have a component you suspect to try a replacement, generally it's the easiest way to fault find on complex equipment like computers.

One final point, on SSDs. Every opinion I have seen on BC says you do NOT defrag SSDs because of the way they work and the way they are made. Conventional drives, yes, SSDs - no.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Slim_Wanky

Slim_Wanky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

Unfourtunately I do not have extra GPUs lying around, since I got my new pc because I couldn't handle my 8600 GS. I am just using one stick or ram, not both in one system because it wouldn't boot when I initially had that problem. 

#4 Slim_Wanky

Slim_Wanky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

I installed the old drivers and they still crash..... It's not blue screen but sometimes it is but my most memorable crashes its just a freeze with the crashing sound. 

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2014 - 07:41 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users