Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"intelligent" Life On Other Planets

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

Here's the topic... Just want everyone's opinions. Do you believe in life on other planets? If so, is it intelligent, like humans? My personal belief is that if the universe is as big as scientists say, then there is an enormous waste of space if there is no other intelligent life. Then, if there is intelligent life, did our Jesus save them as well? Or do they have their own savior? Did they have their own Garden of Eden? Have they sinned, or did God make them more perfect than us? If we find intelligent life ever, should we send missionaries or not?

Regardless of whether you believe in intelligent life on other planets, what do you believe is their connection (if they exist) with our Christian Bible (or another holy book)? Is our Christ their savior?
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:44 AM

My opinion is that there is probably no other life intelligent or otherwise in the universe. That does not mean I'm right, it just means that so far no definitive proof of other life in the universe exists ( though science says it's possible).

As far as UFO's go there are 4 possibilities.

1) actual alien visitation
2) hoaxes
3) experimental military aircraft
4) Fallen angels (a.k.a. demons) trying to deceive humanity

Of these four, numbers 2 and 3 are most likely IMHO. Though a Christian can see the possibility of #4(see Jesus's warnings about the last days in the four Gospels.

Even if there is no other life in the universe, it is still not a wast of space. to quote the psalms " The heavens declare the glory of the Lord" Psalms 19:1. :thumbsup:

Seafox14

Edited by seafox14, 03 June 2006 - 09:45 AM.

5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:00 AM

I tend to think along these lines
(It's a song by Larry Norman)

He's an unidentified flying object
you will see Him in the air
you will drop your hands and stare
you will be afraid to tell your neighbors
they might think that it's not true
but when they open up the morning papers
they will know they've seen Him too

He will come back like He promised
with the price already paid
He will gather up His followers
and take them all away

He will sweep down from the sky
some will sleep but will not die
coming back to take you home
He's an unidentifed flying object
He will role away your stone

and if there's life on other planets
then i'm sure that He must know
and He's been there once already
and has died to save their souls

you will see Him in the air
you will drop your hands and stare
coming back to take you Home
He's an unidentifed flying object
He will role away your stone

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

I think there COULD be life on other planets, but have yet to see anything that suggests that there IS life out there. It just seems incredibly odd that, of the billions/trillions of stars out there, we're the only planet with conditions capable of supporting life.

However, if there is life out there, i don't think they'd be stupid enough to come down here and risk revealing their "interplanetary secrets" to back-country folk, or waste their time drawing circles in corn fields....

#5 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:53 PM

I think there COULD be life on other planets, but have yet to see anything that suggests that there IS life out there. It just seems incredibly odd that, of the billions/trillions of stars out there, we're the only planet with conditions capable of supporting life.

However, if there is life out there, i don't think they'd be stupid enough to come down here and risk revealing their "interplanetary secrets" to back-country folk, or waste their time drawing circles in corn fields....

Hi Meretic Monkey,

Although I know 'zip' about the universe, I suspect I believe much as you do.

Always thought it would be kind of conceited for us human beings here on planet Earth to assume we are the only life in the entire universe. And that if there were beings capable of travelling to our planet, all they'd have to do is 'hover over us' long enough to discover just how ungentle we, as a species, really are - and they'd never take the risk of landing and getting shot into tiny pieces.

Have no idea about the religious aspect of the possibility of 'one God, one Universe' - if I still believed in God, I'd surely hope not though. (Can you imagine the in-fighting there would be between the religious sects?)

Kind thoughts,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

I don't need any scientific evidence to accept the existence of intelligent life on other planets, because the number of stars in our Universe is about 10000000000000000000000000000000, for more and not for less.
I think, with this amount of stars, the existence of intelligent life on other planets it's a question of common-sense. :thumbsup:
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:51 PM

Other life was not mentioned in the Bible so I dont believe there are any. Nasa is just wasting our money if they want to find life in my opinion.

#8 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:15 AM

Even other life was not mentioned in the Bible, it's a question of common-sense, with that amount of stars, that the existence of intelligent life on other planets would be acceptable. :thumbsup:
The NASA was activated in October, 1958. Like the visible Universe has about 18000000000 light years in diameter, and NASA has only 48 years of existence, it needs much more than 17000000000 years to explore the entire universe.
I beg your pardon, but I must say to you that the Bible is not the appropriate book to talk about these things. :flowers:
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

Certainly an interesting topic to pose.

If there were intelligent life on other planets, which does seem remotely likely, would we ever know it?
1. Consider the vastness of space (not to mention time) through which communication must pass.
2. Consider that we might not even recognise intelligence when we "see" it, because intelligence is humanly defined and humanly understood.
3. Consider the added probability that a different civilisation would be capable of communicating with us (they would have to be roughtly equal or superior to us in similar technologies).

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 05 June 2006 - 08:26 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

LOL.. I agree with what Heretic Monkey says. It seems that the odds would support some sort of intelligent life out there. I mean out of the whole universe.. in that immense time and space there must be something else out there. jmho

And if there is other intelligent life out there, they could be different looking, they may not even conceive of "God" or "Gods". I don't know why anyone would take their own beliefs and foist them on others really.. I mean one shouldn't assume.. and send missionaries to them. How crazy. I would think they wouldn't even understand what that was all about.

Hmm intelligent to us could mean an entirely different thing to others out there.. their intelligence could be beyond anything what we could understand and the same goes for them. Who knows? No one does.

If we find intelligent life ever, should we send missionaries or not?

Missionaries? To be honest (and you did ask for opinions, right) I think that sending missionaries is so ... conceited. I guess that's just the way things go tho. Human nature seems bent on twisting things to their own ends. We humans think we are the be all and end all of all things. We have to know everything, take it apart and analyze it so we can KNOW all about it.

What would make you.. or anyone else assume that they need saving? From what? Themselves? US!!?? hehehe

Maybe they would need saving.. from us. Or we from them maybe also? It's all up in the air. hehehe

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:53 AM

What if THEY sent missionaries and convinced everyone that we here on Earth had made a horrible mistake? It would seem that that possibility is certainly more probable than that we are correct.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

What are the Odds of we, the proud human race, listening to another living being, John?
Trully, i think that believing that the whole universe is ours to mess up with, it's a little bit of an egocentric idea.
First, i think we have messed up our world enough already to start seeking other places to merciless exploit, so sometimes i think that, if there are other life forms out there, they might be a little afraid of what we can do, as MaraM said before.
For those who said the bible didn't support outer life, I will tell you that you might be wrong. Have you thought for a second that maybe the "Chosen dudes" (sorry about that, don't know how to translate it.. "pueblo escogido") aren't just the jewish, but maybe all the human race?. Maybe we can't notice that yet, because we don't know if there are more life forms out there.
And last, I do not need scientific facts to assume that there is more file besides us... call it 'faith', or 'hope'...

Pedro
Posted Image

#13 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:40 PM

I don't need any scientific evidence to accept the existence of intelligent life on other planets, because the number of stars in our Universe is about 10000000000000000000000000000000, for more and not for less.
I think, with this amount of stars, the existence of intelligent life on other planets it's a question of common-sense. :thumbsup:

I agree Darthy. I think that we must accept the possiblility of intelligent life on other planets. Because we are such a small part, and we cannot so quickly say that there is not. Also, CowsGoneMad, how can you believe everything miraculous that happened in the Bible, but deny the possiblity of life outside of our Earth? Just pointing out that if you believe that a man came and died and rose 3 days later, that you SHOULD find it concievable that there is life on other planets.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#14 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

There's a BIG difference between there being a possibility, and there being a sure thing. There's certainly good odds that there is some sort of life outside of earth, but people shouldn't automatically assume that there is.

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

Yes the Bible is darthy the Bible talks on many many things. If there were life on other planets it would be the very BEST book to talk about it, as it has been preserved more than any document or book in all of history.

Even other life was not mentioned in the Bible, it's a question of common-sense, with that amount of stars, that the existence of intelligent life on other planets would be acceptable.

"The immense complexity of the human body, in so far as this is understood, is much more awesome than the array of stars."
From link below ^

CowsGoneMad, how can you believe everything miraculous that happened in the Bible, but deny the possiblity of life outside of our Earth?

A few links:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v13/i3/planets.asp
and
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v19/i4/et.asp

I think there could be life out there but not like people. In the Bible it says Satan is the ruler of the air. He and his fallen angels(demons) can go anywhere in the air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users