Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues installing Win 7 Pro 64 from scratch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

I am attempting to install Win 7 64 Pro from scratch.  I had to replace the hard drive, so I have nothing to "repair".

I downloaded and burned the image given in links here and was able to get to the Command Prompt to get my date files off the D drive.  Tried to install using the same burned disk and it seems to start ok but I get an error message, "Windows cannot install required files.  The files may be corrupt or missing.  <yada yada yada>".

Also, now both the old secondary disk and the new primary disk are showing, but for reasons that are beyond me the computer has chosen to rename the old date drive (was D drive) to C drive, and assigned D drive to the new disk.  Not that this is a huge deal, but technically not what I want.

Anyway, I am currently re-downloading the image file to see if that helps.  Is there something I'm missing and should be doing differently?

Previous thread that led me here is: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540922/boot-device-not-found-wont-start/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

I have even tried downloading the image file from a different source (pcworld website) and it got farther (54%),but still gave me the same error.

I should note in my first attempt to burn a new image I mistakenly downloaded the Home edition, and it installed fine before I caught my error.  I then downloaded the pcworld pro 64 version and this is where I got the same "files may be corrupt or missing" error message.

Not sure where to go from here.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

FWIW:  Whichever installation Windows boots into...that will be the C: partition.  If you have two installs picked up by Windows...the one booted into will always be C:, while the other will be D: or some other letter assigned.

I find it intelligent...to disconnect any other hard drives temporarily...when installing any version of Windows.  Less possibility for confusion.  You can connect any other drives after the install is complete and working properly.

Louis

#4 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

I did not disconnect the D drive, but I like that idea and will do so should I do this again... which I'm sure I will.

Ok, an update... FINALLY got it figured out and installed properly.  Tried 4 burned images on DVD.  Tried a USB stick, but never could get that right.

First three image DVDs were burned using Roxio (because that's what I already had), even at the slowest setting, and kept getting error messages.  Finally downloaded ImgBurn and this time it worked.  First try.  I don't know if the difference in programs made the difference, but anecdotal evidence suggests maybe so.

If an ImgBurn disk hadn't worked I think I would have given up and taken it somewhere.  My only complain about ImgBurn is that I don't appreciate all the crap programs that came along with it.  I thought I declined everything, but still got a couple things slipped through... one of which reset my browser.  Not good, ImgBurn, not good.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

Yes, crapware is everywhere these days...with more being added daily.  I see that multiple AV developers have now added craptware and "registry cleaners" to their downloads...you just have to check Add/Remove Programs and the installed programs list to stay on top of such nonsense, IMO.

In any case, glad you solved it and I would have recommended Imgburn as the preferred burn program, glad it worked out for you.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users