Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Limited" wifi after update to 8.1

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Birdseed

Birdseed

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

I've been googling the heck out of this.  I updated to Windows 8.1 on my laptop a few weeks ago.  Ever since, I can only hold a wifi connection for maybe 15-20 min max.  Else it goes to a "limited" status where I have to disconnect and reconnect and then all is well again for another 15-20.  This has happened at my home, at hotels, at my parents' place.  I've been traveling a lot so I'm seeing it everywhere.

My Mac and iphone and other wireless devices at home are not having any issues with wifi connectivity.

Based on my searches, I verified that my driver is updated, I made sure that the power saver for network is unchecked.  What else can I do?  The MS website just keeps referring to the driver or your ISP.  It's clearly not either of those.

Network adapter is Broadcom 802.11n

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jelogz30

jelogz30

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

You must need to get back to windows 8. since most of the time the drivers for your wireless network adapter must be compatible with windows 8.1. Go to device manager on your pc and check for the drivers for your wireless network adapter and try to update the compatible one.

#3 Birdseed

Birdseed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

Maybe I need to revert to 8 but I have checked my drivers.  THey are fine. And MS has a gazllion threads going on about this problem. It's not just me. I should be able to be updated fully and not have this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users