Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Getting a Refurbished PC worth it?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nabael

Nabael

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

So, I do quite a bit of gaming. I have a relatively good card that does the trick quite well for the games that I like to play and is plenty capable of playing new games that come out as well. 
Everything else with the PC is at least six years old (Got the PC as a birthday present back in High School) and has a multitude of issues that don't stop it from working, but keep adding up and I'd imagine its days are quite limited. The performance is terrible.

I need a different PC, basically.

I plan on salvaging the card: PCI-E Gforce 9600 GT or something along those lines. Possibly the hard drive as well, at least as a secondary drive as it is quite large.

Everything else I am going to scrap.

I've been looking at the idea of either getting a refurbished PC with a PCI-E slot, or a new basic computer and putting my drive and card into it as both work fine and are the newer additions to my current PC.

Where is a good place to look for a decent refurbished PC online?

Or if refurbished isn't worth the money:

Where is a good place to find a new, basic everyday computer I can upgrade?

Note: I am a working college student and only have around 300 dollars to spend on this. Any more and I'm looking at eating Ramen for the rest of the month.

Thanks!

Edited by Nabael, 09 August 2014 - 03:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

you are in luck. there are quite a few refurb units with OS installed off newegg for under 300.  .the 9600 would prolly do best  with a low-budget dual core or i3. you can squeeze by with 4gb ram, but 8gb is ideal for the modern 64-bit OS demands. DO NOT opt for the DDR2 ram as it is a bad deal all around.

i will look for the links...

here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019095%2040000010%204016&IsNodeId=1&name=All%20Desktop%20PCs&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20&isdeptsrh=1

Edited by synergy513, 13 August 2014 - 10:02 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Nabael

Nabael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

you are in luck. there are quite a few refurb units with OS installed off newegg for under 300.  .the 9600 would prolly do best  with a low-budget dual core or i3. you can squeeze by with 4gb ram, but 8gb is ideal for the modern 64-bit OS demands. DO NOT opt for the DDR2 ram as it is a bad deal all around.

i will look for the links...

here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019095%2040000010%204016&IsNodeId=1&name=All%20Desktop%20PCs&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20&isdeptsrh=1

Thank you very much mate, certainly gave me a lot of choices!
Quite a load off my mind as it literally took my current PC three times to get fully started today o,0.

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

excellent, i take it you are in the UK? if so, i can't be certain about shipping, ..i read somewhere that it can get painful, but maybe not. it would take a little research to find out.

#5 Nabael

Nabael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

excellent, i take it you are in the UK? if so, i can't be certain about shipping, ..i read somewhere that it can get painful, but maybe not. it would take a little research to find out.

USA, but from the UK. I take it that "mate," gave it away? Thanks for the warning, at any rate. Shouldn't be an issue if I'm US, unless NewEgg is a foreign site?

#6 Nabael

Nabael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

Also, on that note going through the Reburbished section. I found a Business computer that had excellent stats: 8 gigs ram, 1 terabyte hard drive, 3 ghzt quad core. Also as far as I know, most modern mid-towers have PCI-E ports.
Do business computers with an added card make a decent gaming PC or no?

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

newegg is in US and Canada i know, not sure of other locations.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

the slim form factor types probably do not have the 16x pci-e most of the time. i think i remember the 9600 being a long card though. so you would be checking into the regular size mini-atx desktops to fit that card in.

i have a 9800 gt myself and it is a long single slot card not much different than the 9600

most OEM PCs have at least one PCI-E on the motherboard. it might take a little research on the exact motherboard.

also, you can expect that the OEM PCs are going to have a wimpy power supply, somewhere between 200 watts to 300 and prolly will not be equipped with the 6 pin power for the 9600.

Edited by synergy513, 13 August 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#9 Nabael

Nabael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

the slim form factor types probably do not have the 16x pci-e most of the time. i think i remember the 9600 being a long card though. so you would be checking into the regular size mini-atx desktops to fit that card in.

i have a 9800 gt myself and it is a long single slot card not much different than the 9600

Well, it looks to be fairly regular as far as the form goes. And worse case I end up having to use my old case and just move the motherboard and everything over. I am proficient enough at hardware installation to be able to do that. Or just buy a new case.

I did that a long time ago with this PC because I had that same issue. Tried to put the card in and it didn't fit, so I found an old case and just changed the parts over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users