Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

My copy of Windows Explorer has been getting flakier and flakier. About 6-8 months ago, it started hanging about once a week or so. If I forced it using Task Manager, it would usually work OK for awhile. A reboot seemed to fic the problem for longer. Revently, it's been getting more and more frequent. It has happened twice already today.

I found a MSFT KB article on repairing and.or reinstalling Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378.

What do you all recommend? Should I first try the Reset and then the Reinstall? Is there a better option?

Thanks

PS: I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the software section. Since Explorer is part of the OS (I think), I posted it here. I hope that's OK.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Let's gather some data...before we start "solving" problems :).  I like to diagnose before throwing out "solutions".

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Louis,

I ran MiniToolBox and have that data. I also installed Speccy (I couldn't find the stand-alone version, which I would have preferred), but instead of posting the results to the Internet, I saved them as a text file.

Man, that's a lot of data. I really appreciate the effort to help, but I am just not comfortable posting that much information about my system to the general public.

Can I copy selected pieces fo information? I understand that it's far easier for you to be able to just browse everything, but it's just too much.

Thanks, Cyn

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2014 - 02:20 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

If you look  around BC you will find Mini Toolbox reports and Speccy links all over the place. I can understand your privacy concerns but there is no personalised information included in either.

MTB reports on software failures and problems as well as listing the applications installed on your machine. As for the Speccy report, once it has finished analysis, you publish a link to the report by clicking 'File - Publish report'. This provides you with a link, which is what Hamlouis asked for, you don't send the full report, merely post the link.

Yes, there is a lot of information in a Speccy report but it is only about the condition of your hardware and your operating system. While the report you see on your computer gives your Windows activation code, this is excluded from the report that any one on BC will see.

Further, I am not aware of any way that you could be traced through either of these reports and while MTB lists the applications on your computer it makes no reference to data on it.

I hope this puts your mind at rest, and please send the reports Hamlouis has asked for.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users