Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD not in boot priority list

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hey guys, racking my brain here on this one.. I built a brand new computer with an Asus H81M-C/CSM Mobo, i3 4150 processor, 1TB Seagate HDD and everytime I restart the computer it enters the EFI as opposed to booting into Windows. Upon further inspection I noticed that the HDD itself is detected, can boot into Windows if I manually select it from the boot option... But the HDD in question does not show up in the boot priority list, meaning, I can't select it as a bootable device and instead the PC will only go into EFI... Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

It appears that board has different boot options, Direct BIOS and FastBoot. Have you tried the different options to see if it helps. Also, did you set the SATA controller to AHCI mode?. That might help it's recognition during boot up.

Opinions differ on weather or not you will need to reinstall the OS after switching between IDE and AHCI. Just know you may have to if switching modes fixes your issue. Also, I know it's a brand new board, but you might want to check for any BIOS update....

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

If this has EUFI there may be the option to run in the BIOS legacy mode.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the fast reply guys, I solved the problem. It had for some reason selected the card reader as the P1 Device as opposed to the HDD, changing the option from the multi-card reader fixed the issue and the HDD is selectable as the first priority boot device.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Some times it's just that simple.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yes.. Sometimes :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users