Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FlightGear's good nature exploited?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Even though FlightGear is released under the GNU General Public License (Version 2), it's still gotta be morally wrong to claim that it is yours, and sell it?

Flight Pro Sim (Google it!) is a "fork" of FlightGear that you have to pay for, with no reference at all to FlightGear. According to the GPL, you can redistribute the source code and binary code freely, you may modify it and rename it, and the sad part is... It never says you can't sell it. Go to the site, try to find where the source code links are. Don't you think it's wrong? (Even though it might be legal.)

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

I agree whole heartedly !  It is something that Flight Gear is aware of but admit they can do nothing about, see here :

http://www.flightgear.org/flightprosim.html

It can hardly be called a fork if all they have done is change the brand name throughout, forks usually come about because of philosophical differences between groups of developers.

I haven't looked at Flight Gear in a while because the coding problems to get my joystick to work with it were beyond me, but I intend having another look at it in the near future. An on-line newspaper I read - theregister.co.uk - has a project called 'Lohan' to balloon launch a rocket propelled model aircraft from an altitude of about 30,000m (for those of you unfamiliar with the metric system, that's about 100,000 feet) and somebody is producing Flight Gear code for the aircraft. I want it !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

I wish there was a legal way to bring down the "developers" of things like that, but unfortunately, that is not possible. It's because of those types of people that we have licenses anyway, because people are afraid of the exact same thing happening to them.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users