Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task manager settings change crushed my PC!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Hannibal_

Hannibal_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hi!

I wanted to improve speed to my video game cause it was lagging lately, so I used Task manager to set priority for this game and I used priority - RealTime when my video game was already running and suddenly it started to lag even more and my PC crushed or just turned off in a second and now it' s impossible to tur it on and even light that shows when PC is charging now is not glowing so I have a bad feeling about this and I decided to share this issue. Can anyone Help please? What needs to be done to fix my pc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Since you mention that the PC is charging I can assume that this is a laptop or notebook.

Unplug the power adapter, remove the battery, then press and hold the power button for half a minute or so.  Put it back together and see if it will boot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Hannibal_

Hannibal_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

I have Lenovo G505s Laptop Windows 8. The light that should be glowing when i charge it, it isn't glowing. I tried your suggestion, didn't work.

"Real-time priority is really dangerous. It's higher priority than nearly everything else. It's higher priority than mouse input, keyboard input, and the disk cache. If you foolishly set the priority class of a CPU-intensive program to real-time, it will suck up your entire processor, leaving no cycles for anything else. " 

I found  this piece of info and I understand it' s bad, but what could be done about this?

Edited by Hannibal_, 09 August 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

I misunderstood you.

How old is the battery in this laptop?

If the charging light isn't coming on there is a problem with either the battery or the charger.

You can use a Volt meter with a DC scale to read the output of the adapter.  I would start there.

When you go to read the output voltage of the adapter the red probe needs to be placed in the female portion of the plug, and the black probe needs to be touching the outside metal of the connector. 

Edited by dc3, 09 August 2014 - 12:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Hannibal_

Hannibal_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

Ok, but everything was allright with battery and adapter before this crush happened and battery was full! I guess it' s something to do with that when i set priority real time to this video game it sucked up even forces that are needed for recognizing the battery and charger, no? I think it' s pretty bad and there is problem with whole inside "system". And I want to know if it is fixable.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

#7 Hannibal_

Hannibal_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

I would love to know how to do it properly if I can' t turn my laptop on

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

What happens when you press the power button?

#9 Hannibal_

Hannibal_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Absoulutely nothing.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Ok, but everything was allright with battery and adapter before this crush happened and battery was full! I guess it' s something to do with that when i set priority real time to this video game it sucked up even forces that are needed for recognizing the battery and charger, no? I think it' s pretty bad and there is problem with whole inside "system". And I want to know if it is fixable.

Well I'm hoping we can find out if it's fixable

Please remove the battery and try to boot into Safe Mode as suggested

Did you create a System Repair disc?

#11 Hannibal_

Hannibal_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Well I'm hoping we can find out if it's fixable

Please remove the battery and try to boot into Safe Mode as suggested

Did you create a System Repair disc?

No, I didn't. I need to know a proper way how to try that boot, cause maybe I am doing something wrong beacuse nothing happens when i try.

Edited by Hannibal_, 09 August 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

You press the start button, then start tapping the F8 key, continue to do this till the Advanced Boot Options open.

Use the up or down keys to navigate to Safe Mode, the press Enter to choose it.

If you don't see any LEDs lit up or can't hear or feel the fan running it may not boot.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

Since you have Windows 8, refer to http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

NOTE: Whatever key or combination of keys you use at start up, the action must be started immediately upon startup. If you are even only 1 second too late, the computer will not boot into Safe Mode

#14 Hannibal_

Hannibal_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

I tried, ty! But it seems that my laptop doesn't have enough power to turn on cause its all taken by video game, my friends told me something like that..
cmptrgy, it may work but i can't turn it on

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

At this point in time I can only speculate on what to do

I suspect that "absoulutely nothing" is the case even with the battery removed and using only AC power

--- If this is the case, there’s something more going on

--- It appears to me that even if the video game is taking up all of your system resources, the power lights should still be visible

Consider the following

Replace the CMOS battery or power pack if you can

Reseat the memory chips

Remove the hard drive for about 30 seconds and then put it back in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users