Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automate Speaker Balance Adjustment

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 infojunkies

infojunkies

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hi,

I sing in a barbershop quartet & chorus.  We use recordings of a quartet to practice our songs.  The recordings are in stereo, with my part on one speaker and the other three parts on the other speaker, so my part is louder than the others when the speakers are balanced.  When I think I have the song learned, I use the following sequence to adjust the balance, so that my part is silenced:

Control Panel

Hardware & Sound

Sound

Speakers (default device)

Levels tab

Balance button

Drag left speaker to zero volume

I've managed to create a desktop icon for "Sound", eliminating the first two steps, but I still have to do the rest, and it's cumbersome.  Is there any way to automate more of this process?

Thanks,

Lou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

If you go to the right hand end of your taskbar do you have an icon for you sound system, it may be in 'Hidden icons' ?  If you double click on this icon it should open the sound system control panel. If you have a mixer control, click on this and you may see volume sliders for left and right channels, just turn the LH channel to zero. This does depend on the sound system on your computer though, but should be quicker than going through 'Control panel'.

As a really quick and dirty solution, assuming you are using external speakers, how about just unplugging the left hand one ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 infojunkies

infojunkies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, all I can do on that panel is adjust the total volume - I can't do it on each speaker that way.  That's probably because my speakers are wired in series, so I can't unplug one without the other.  Although I like that quick & dirty idea ... maybe I need new speakers.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 August 2014 - 04:57 PM.
Moved to 'Audio and Video'

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

Not sure if this would help http://lifehacker.com/5820009/simplesndvol-adds-balance-control-to-the-windows-system-tray

Tekken

#5 infojunkies

infojunkies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

OUTSTANDING!!  This tool is exactly what I needed.  Thank you, thank you!  I'm going to let the Harmony Society (the national barbershopper's organization) know about this!

Lou  :bounce:

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

You're Welcome and glad it fits your needs. Thank you for posting back. :)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users