Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Failure - Not OS Boot Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 djtalon

djtalon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

Hi All,

I believe I have a logical failure in my Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB hard drive. It is not my boot drive, however, as I boot Windows 7 off of my OCZ Agility 3 SSD.

I am trying to pull all of my pictures and docs from this hard drive.

I tried running Recuva but it didn't find anything I wanted. I tried Puran and it did find pictures and docs but it wouldn't recover them. I tried testdisk per another thread on BleepingComputer but it couldn't access my RAW partition.

Currently I have two partitions, the RAW and the System Reserved for the Barracuda HDD.

Also, I have a FreeAgent External 1.5TB drive hooked up to the computer to hold any recovered files.

Please help! I was stupid and should have backed up my data!

Thank you so much!

Yiwen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

When you used testdisk, which version did you use ,6.14 or 7,and did you do a deep search after quick search?

Was Testdisk the windows version or the one on Parted Magic?

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 August 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#3 djtalon

djtalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

When you used testdisk, which version did you use ,6.14 or 7,and did you do a deep search after quick search?

Was Testdisk the windows version or the one on Parted Magic?

I used testdisk-7.0-WIP

I'm not sure what the Parted Magic one is.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

V7 is still beta. Testdisk is also on the PartedMagic iso which is a linux distro. You can download the last free version here. Burn it in Windows 7 by double clicking it. Boot the disk. There is a file manager icon on the desktop. Double click it and open your external drive. Linux may be able to mount the partition and see your files. See this guide.

If PartedMagic cannot mount the drive and see the files on the RAW partition you will need to start Testdisk as shown in this guide. The best way to do this is to create a Recovery Folder on the 1.5TB drive using the Parted Magic File Manager. Double click the Recovery Folder you created. In the menu bar select File Terminal as Root. This will open a terminal. In that terminal window type:

Testdisk

This will open Testdisk in the Recovery Folder. If after doing the deep search as outlined in the guide and you can list your files Testdisk will copy any files to the Recovery Folder by default.

Do not write anything in Testdisk. Post back if you can see your files by using the "P" key.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 August 2014 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users