Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 (8.1) Gone 'Tits up'Fix.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Midnightminstrel

Midnightminstrel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

So, your laptop preloaded with Windows 8 has now died on you,you, like me, you neglected or didnt know about creating a Set up and Recovery disk... you have tried faffing about with the recovery tools etc, now when you start up windows your getting the dreaded ' preparing'..or Repairing' etc and this either gets stuck at 33% or something then comes back saying ( some times after an hour or so) "Windows was unable to repair" etc etc...well rather than swearing and Kicking the cat there is a way out of this.
First of all, if windows at least attempted or gave you other options despite the fact they didnt work, the good news is ..there is nothing wrong with your hard drive, the likes of PC world will probably say you need to send it away for repair, i.e. New Hard Drive then charge you an Extra £50.00 for re installation of windows...its all Bollocks! Especially if you have a HP laptop.
So, enough waffle now, here is the Fix. First a Disclaimer : this will lose all your personnel files, music, photos etc, but it will get your laptop back to what it was like when you first bought it so you do this at your own risk, OK, ( it worked for me)
OK. 1/ Press Restart then keep pressing the F8 key until "Please Wait" comes on Screen.
2/ Wait ( may take several mins.
3/ When Blue Screen appears Choose you Keyboard Language (use pointer on 'See more Keyboard layouts" if yours not shown, eg. United Kingdom in my case. Choose your layout
4/ Choose 'Troubleshoot' in in the options Screen
5/ Choose Recovery Manager
6/ Choose Windows 8 (or Windows 8.1)
7/ Choose "Minimised Image Recovery.
8/ It will give you options then to Back Up your Data..I said No in my case, because whatever caused my Problems could then reinstall its self back into the Computer.
9/ The screen will change to a progress bar...Dont touch the Computer, it will take about 30mins. To complete.
10/ Once Complete Press 'Continue'
11/ The Computer will Restart... (Or you may have to press an Ok button or something for this, cant remember.
12/ You will see a screen telling you that "Software is being Installed"
13/ Take the dog for a walk..have your Dinner...watch something on the telly..this will take a while, it may even go into several reboots etc...
14/ Eventually you will get a box saying "Recovery Is Complete" press 'Finish'
15/ It will go into the "Getting Ready" screen..Screen may go blank for a while, then come back.
16/ Now you will be taken through several Language, country etc etc options
17/ all that tick box to agree Licence terms blah blah blah..then 'Accept'
18/ Register and Protect Blah Blah Blah...up to you what you choose here. I personally did not Choose the automated updating...I found that a pain in the arse tbh.
19/ you know all the rest, you went through this when you first bought it..Personalise etc etc etc.
20/ CREATE A RECOVERY DISC!!! actually use a USB stick, get a 32gb one. PC world are selling Sandisk Cruzer Force USB Flash Drives for £15.99...I just bought one
21/ Pat your self on the back Apologise to all who heard your foul language over the last few days and cuddle the cat!

PS. During this process, there may be times when the Computer seems to be doing nothing, or goes blank etc...or hanging....for F###s sake leave it alone to work its magic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users