Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I format my HDD.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saul23

saul23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

I have just burned a copy of Ubuntu onto DVD and I am about to install it on a small netbook with a 120GB HDD, it has it's original OS (XP Home) on a hidden partition my query is should I format the drive first or just go ahead with the install and have what I presume would be a dual boot setup. Also (and this is where my lack of tech awareness becomes obvious) is Linux supported by way of update's whether  security related or otherwise?     If a tedious post I apologise, but would be grateful for any direction.       Thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Be sure to run Ubuntu as LIVE first. If that is successful then you can install usually without any problem. Running as LIVE

does not install to the hdd. Only uses the memory and CD-ROM.

If that is a hidden recovery partition that has XP on it and you don't intend to use XP any longer then you can either delete

the partition or just leave it there. Ubuntu will only recognize a bootable image of XP and set up a dual boot for that. A recovery

partition is not bootable.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

See here and here, then I'd recommend using dban program contained within SystemRescueCD.  And always use a Linux utility or command line (cfdisk) to partition a Linux install, not windoze.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

it has it's original OS (XP Home) on a hidden partition

Is there any chance of a screen shot of your partitions as in the example?

2vxinuo.jpg

Do you want to keep XP? If no, Just install Linux over it, It will handle everything for you.

Linux supported by way of update's whether  security related or otherwise?

Way more so than Windows, It is not unusual to get Updates 3 or 4 times a week. The Linux community reacts fast to any issues.

If a tedious post I apologise, but would be grateful for any direction.       Thankyou.

Not at all, We are glad to help.

Be sure to run Ubuntu as LIVE first. If that is successful then you can install usually without any problem. Running as LIVE

does not install to the hdd. Only uses the memory and CD-ROM.

+1 Buddy215

Edited by NickAu1, 19 August 2014 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users