Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop won't charge when powered up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PDM

PDM

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

I have a unique problem.

A friend asked me to take a look at his HP G71-329WM laptop. This has 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium installed.

The problem is that the laptop won't charge the battery when the system is powered up. If' it's powered down, the battery will charge ,but as soon as I hit the power button to power it up, the light near the power port and the one on the front of the laptop that indicates that the battery is charging go out.

What I've done so far:

1. to rule out malware I ran a quick scan with Malwarebytes (which found and removed one issue) and Adwcleaner (which found and removed a few more). He's running Avast free AV and he also has this IObit crapware installed. (I'm not a fan, but I guess I don't see how this might contribute to THIS issue).
  2. I checked the BIOS level (thinking that there may be a BIOS update that may address this). The BIOS is currently at F.11 and the most recent is F.23 so it's two levels behind, but I can't update the BIOS because it says that it won't run unless the charger is plugged in (even though it is).
  3. I downloaded and installed the HP battery check software which says that the battery condition is fine. I'm a little suspect of that because the battery life after being charged is ~ 1 hour (but that may be because it's not being charged while running....I don't know)

So I'm at a loss to explain this one....anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Download and run the HP Battery Test and verify that the battery is good.

#3 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

The OP, in step 3, stated that he has run the HP Battery Check software.....

Here is a quote from HP's Battery Check FAQ page:

"For accuracy, it must check that all battery cells are charging properly. This can only be accomplished when the AC adapter is attached and charging the notebook PC battery."

This tell me that for the software to run properly and display results, it has to see connected, charging, batteries. This means the charger is charging the batteries, at least somewhat, while in Windows.

In step 2 you didn't state how you tried to update the BIOS. From within windows, or with a boot disk/flash drive that installs the new BIOS directly. What gave you the message that the charger was not plugged in?

Deducing from the info you've already given, the BIOS doesn't see the charger, but the Battery Check software does. Curious if this is a charger problem... What does the battery status icon in the system tray indicate, battery power, or charging? Have you tried charging the battery (with it powered off) overnight to ensure a full charge?

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#4 PDM

PDM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

I charged it up to 100% and the battery icon just indicates that it's discharging. No indication that it's charging.

Looks like it could be a battery issue. I've attached the latest result from the HP battery check software. Not looking good. One cell has no voltage whatsoever.

Now....to compound matters....the display appears to have died. I have no display....I have to plug in a monitor to get video.  What next?? I'm trying to do someone a favor and this happens :(

#5 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

Ugghhh.... I've been there before. That's a phone call that's hard to make. You didn't happen to hit the function key for switching displays, did you? A lot of laptops F1-F12 keys are defaulted to their function key commands. I always switch them back to F-key operation.

If one battery cell is dead, you gotta start there. Kinda makes sense though. With the laptop off, it's a dummy charger. With it on, the check and control circuitry in running and sees a problem with the battery and stops charging it.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#6 PDM

PDM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

Well, I tried the 'drain the motherboard' trick and the display came back. WHEW!!!

I must have inadvertently hit some function key combo.

Anyway, time to call and get this thing outta my house :)

Thanks to all for your assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users