Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7, UI unresponsive after 30 seconds, Safe-mode Okay

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 luodanli

luodanli

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

Hello,

My sons' desktops, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, both became unusable around 5 days ago. The only hardware they have in common is their WD 1TB hard-drives, each a year old. When the desktops were allowed to boot normally, they would become unresponsive after around 30 seconds.  The mouse cursor would change to the Windows spinning circle and any open application windows would turn white. 

When booted into safe-mode, both worked fine.  They each had Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 installed.  Neither of their restore points could be loaded.  When Kaspersky was used to scan them in safe-mode, nothing was found.  When MalwareBytes (free version) was executed in safe-mode, a few instances of PUPs were found, Babylon and InstallIQ, but nothing else.  When Bitdefender was run from a bootable thumbdrive, nothing was found.  Using Clonezilla on a bootable thumbdrive, I imaged their drives using backups I maded 1 year ago (embarrassing) and their computers are functional again.

At one point during the creation and testing of the bootable thumbdrives, I booted my computer with one plugged-in.  My computer now has the same symptoms that theirs started with.  My machine has no hardware in common with theirs.  Its running the same OS, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and Kaspersky Internet Security 2014.  In safe-mode I've run Kaspersky IS 2014, MalwareBytes, rkill, TDSSKiller, and Windows Defender.  Using bootable CDs I've run Bitdefender, Kaspersky Rescue 10, bootrec.exe from Windows System Repair, Microsoft Defender Offline and Comodo Rescue.  I've found nothing other than the InstallIQ and Babylon PUPs and have removed them.  I do not have a disk image that I can use to recover.  I'm ready to remove my personal data, wipe my drive, and reinstall Windows, but would rather find a less destructive solution.  Also, if this infection reoccurs in a week, I don't want to go through the image restore and reinstall festival again.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

luodanli

Edited by luodanli, 09 August 2014 - 07:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

While in safe mode...

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista/7), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista/7).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 luodanli

luodanli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thank you for the welcome! I've made it past the 30s mark for the first time in 5 days. No abnormal operation at this point. Couldn't enable the firewall in safe-mode; however Windows enabled it itself when Kaspersky didn't load.

Edited by luodanli, 09 August 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#4 luodanli

luodanli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Up for 17 minutes so far. I have to run out for 30 minutes, so I'm going to shut it down. I don't want to leave it unattended with a possible infection.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

It looks like some of disabled startups/services is causing your issue.

Grab a cup of coffee and investigate. It'll take some time.

Go back to "msconfig" and start re-enabling startups and services you just disabled but only one at a time restarting computer each time until you find the culprit.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 luodanli

luodanli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Will do. I've really gotten away from paying attention to the individual services on my machine since I switched from XP a few years ago. Now I suffer :s

#7 luodanli

luodanli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

I was able to reenable all but Kaspersky (saved it for last, as it is one of the few commonalities between my system and my boys'). In normal mode, it would toggle off as soon as I enabled it. Enabled it in safe-mode, can no longer log-in in normal mode. Disabled it in safe mode for confirmation, Normal log-in restored. So, maybe Kaspersky put out a bad update? Or maybe something doesn't like Kaspersky?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

Check their forums first.

If no info there reinstall Kaspersky.

If still no go you have to contact them.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 luodanli

luodanli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

Checked their forums and found similar problems described, but no answers. Will reinstall Kaspersky at this time. If it isn't fixed, I'll follow the data gathering steps (disable all virus scanner modules, reenable one at a time with restarts ;) ) on their forum, and report my results.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

p22003888.gif

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 luodanli

luodanli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Reinstalling Kaspersky seems to have done the trick.  It's caused no trouble for the last 6 months, so I was sure that if there was a problem related to the scanner, it was malware interfering with the scanner. I was wrong.  Thank you for your assistance.  Thank you for the reminder of basic troubleshooting methodology.  BTW, before the reinstall, ran the ESET online scan which came up clean as well.  Cheers.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

Good job :)

Good luck and stay safe :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users