Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dnsrsearch time warner browser redirect

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Adams369

Adams369

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

Not sure what to make of this. I have a new computer never downloaded more than my free malwarebytes and a couple other free legit tools.

Tried to go to a website got redirected with that time warner search engine but it only has done it on one site that i think i may have typed in wrong. anyway looked up how to get rid of it. fairly simple rules uninstall from programs reset browsers. clean out reg. except when i scan the computer nothing. and when i look for program nothing. but if i go to a particurlar site and it pops up. then i see the search engine in my browsers list of search engines. delete it and i'm alright. 

My question is should i be worried that malwarebytes is not working properly or just calk it up to know the name of the site before trying to go to it. i also tried junkware removal tool and found nothing. 

thanks for anyones input in this matter 

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 February 2015 - 01:51 PM.
Moved to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

What else did you download to this computer?

What website are you getting the redirect on?

Some legitimate downloads will have third party software embedded in it.  Unless you choose to do a custom installation these third party programs will automatically be included in the installation.  By using the custom installation you have the opportunity to remove the check mark indicating it is to be installed, or will have the option to decline the software.  This may be how this software wound up on your computer.

Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Adams369

Adams369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

thanks for your help. all i have is a question. is this a stand alone program like some others i have because i have malwarebytes superanti spyware and junkware removal tool as well as bit defender and as long as its stand alone. i will ad it to my arsonal because i dont want something to start conflicting.

I did run it and all it cleaned was an old profile from firefox because i had it's beta browser aurora in the computer but it kept glitching on video playback so i uninstalled it and put in regular firefox. 

i don't know the computer is very clean kids don't use it. and i'm very careful and select and also know that i have to custom install programs in order not to get anything bundled with them.

appreciate your help in this matter anyway thank you

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Are you using Bing as your search engine?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

I have seen the Time Warner redirect here before as well I believe it is because their DNS is not able to resolve a site or link to IP. In the past I have added one of the Google DNS numbers to help resolve the names better. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for IPv4, and/or 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844, for IPv6 access.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

That is why I was asking if they are using Bing as their search engine.  With Bing, if the address isn't valid or mistyped if will open the Time Warner search engine.

#7 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

I do not have Bing as a search engine in any of my browsers.  I refuse to have Bing.  Chrome and Comodo obviously have google; Firefox and IE have yahoo.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

Cassiopeia, you need to open your own topic.

#9 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

New topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564772/browsestudiocom-and-infostatsvccom-dnsrsearch/#entry3609307

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users