Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 pc really slow and some apps not appearing - please help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gezkc

gezkc

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:33 AM

Hi,

About a week ago, I downloaded a Super Nintendo emulator app and a couple of games (rom files) to my PC (a Lenovo pc running Windows 8.1), and found that it had also downloaded a load of crap along with it. I started getting lots of ad pop-ups and my home page was changed from Google to some other one (I can't remember the name now - it was something like adstarsearch or something).

I then went to Programs/Features and uninstalled all the things that had installed on that day, deactivated the unwanted search provider ad-ons and ran Malwarebytes which found some malware items and deleted them. My computer was running fine from then on... or so I thought.

Yesterday, when I switched my pc on, I found that after it had booted up, not everything had started up properly - several icons that usually appear at the bottom right of the screen aren't appearing (eg: my antivirus program Avast, dropbox.com and I don't have access to the internet (I usually have to connect via a Powerline network adapter because wifi's not too good upstairs in our house, so effectively a wired connection, but this is not connecting now). If I try to use any programs or applications (Excel, Control Panel or anything), the computer just hangs and the app never opens. If I try to log off, I get a message saying "Task host window - Task host is stopping background tasks".

So basically, my pc is now unusable. I'm guessing I'm still infected by some sort of malware, but if I can't even get it to run anything or connect to the internet, how can I check this?

Any help will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Edited by gezkc, 09 August 2014 - 06:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Did you try system restore to before it happened?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 gezkc

gezkc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hi Broni, thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get to the System Restore section in the control panel. The computer just hangs if I try to do a search or if I click on "Change PC Settings".

Is there any other (as in "direct") way to get to the System Restore functionality on a Windows 8 pc? The computer's so slow at the moment, it's very difficult to use at all. :(

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Try system restore from safe mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 gezkc

gezkc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

I've tried typing or searching for "Advanced" on the Start screen to get to the Advanced start up options menu, but the computer just hangs and doesn't move from the Start screen.

Is there anything else I can do to start up in safe mode? At the moment, I can't even get to the menu to change the way it starts up.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.

Hold on there....

My Website

#7 gezkc

gezkc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Broni

#8 gezkc

gezkc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

Hi Broni,

Just to let you know, I finally managed to do a system restore and it seems to have solved my issues. I clicked on Restart while holding down the Shift key and it enabled me to get to the Advanced start up options. I then selected a restore point from a couple of weeks ago and all seems to be running fine again now.

Thanks for your help.  :thumbup2:

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Super :)

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users