Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Split/Mirrored Screen on BIOS but Normal in Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 raj.analytical

raj.analytical

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:53 AM

Greetings,

I have an ASUS Bamboo laptop (model U43F) that developed a problem with the keyboard (some keys stopped working) about 10 months after purchasing - I sent it to ASUS and the keys were replaced but then the screen was split/mirrored horizontally when booting.  Unfortunately the warranty expired while it was at ASUS, so they wouldn't fix it however this has not been much of an issue as the Split screen occurs ONLY when booting up (ASUS Logo, BIOS, and "Windows Loading")...once Windows gets to the login screen, everything is normal.  I know it's not a hardware issue as this problem has existed for about 2 years now - split screen until Windows loads, then everything is fine.  ASUS upgraded the BIOS, so I downgraded it but that did not resolve the issue.  The reason it's a problem now is because Windows Update automatically updated last night but ended up causing an endless BSOD loop at the "Windows Loading" screen, and it's difficult to read/navigate through the recovery console/command prompt when the screen is split.

Bottom line:  Any clue why the screen would be split/mirrored ONLY when booting up/BIOS but normal in Windows?

Additional Specs:

OS = Win 7 Home Premium

Intel i5

6 gb DDR3

Intel HD Graphics/Shared

Not sure on mobo info, but I can try to find them if necessary.

P.S. I'm going to start a separate thread on my Windows Update issue, but if anyone here has a solution for that too, that would be great! - Windows 7 Home Premium automatically updated last night and now I get a BSOD with 0x000007b error - I have 2 Windows 7 partitions on a single hard drive - the other partition has Windows 7 Home Premium as well, but did not have the update (haven't used that partition in months) - but the 2nd partition boots up fine.  Any clues on how to undo the Update via Advanced Startup Repair (the automatic repair isn't working and there are no restore points found, so I'd likely have to do it manually via CMD)?

***Update: Here's a link to the thread for my Windows Update problem

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543800/windows-update-caused-bsod-infinite-loop-on-boot/

Edited by raj.analytical, 09 August 2014 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

You might try updating the BIOS and see if that resolves the screen issue.  Even if it is the same version, it may be corrupted.

#3 raj.analytical

raj.analytical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the reply; I'm skeptical about this considering I downgraded it to its original BIOS and the problem still persists.  Any idea how Window is able to appear normal even though it's split prior to Windows loading?  I will try reflashing the BIOS with the updated version - unfortunately there are only 2 versions of the BIOS for this machine, so the options there are limited.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users