Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i upgrade this? (noob)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 desiqueira

desiqueira

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

So I have to fall back onto an Acer Aspire M5100 (http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-m5100/specs/).I'm not really good with the interior of the computer and I've never actually used it... it's been sitting and collecting dust for a while. 

Anyway, my old computer was able to run skyrim and grid very well with virtually no lag. I'm able to spend around $200 to upgrade this thing. I'm looking for smooth gameplay.. This is a must as I am looking to play all of my old games on this computer... So whether I need to add/replace a graphics card, upgrade the power supply, upgrade the RAM or anything else.. please point me in the right direction(:

I have no clue as to what the interior parts are called... but I'm great with using the computer lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.  According to Crucial your machine can support 8GB.  How much RAM do you have now?  2GB or 4GB?

The video card will normally also require a power supply upgrade and upgrading the power supply on a manufactured machine is normally not a viable option.

#3 desiqueira

desiqueira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

I think I've got 3GB of ram currently.. but I now realize that I have to replace the power supply. Would it be best to go for an upgrade or get a similar one?

#4 desiqueira

desiqueira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

Newest problem..... Ive got to replace the motherboard.. any recommendations?.

#5 jentrym2001

jentrym2001

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

In a machine like that man you would probably be better off to just get a whole new PC.. May i ask what it is doing? 

#6 desiqueira

desiqueira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:02 AM

I want it to be an average gaming computer, something to play Skyrim on. I'm okay with lowering the graphics to a near minimum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users