Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 1.5.0.4 Problems?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:00 PM

Has anyone experienced any problems with firefox today? I updated automatically to the latest version released today,it worked ok for a while,but now im having problems. The home page (the firefox google homepage) is blank,a white screen,the same goes for yahoo if i go there.As far as i can tell,other sites like this one are fine,but then reload home page or google and,nothing its blank. This is bizarre. IE is working fine, even did a panda and kaspersky online scan to look for anything and nothing found..........strange! :thumbsup:

Edited by graveangel, 02 June 2006 - 06:02 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:11 PM

Nope, I updated today and the yahoo loads fine. Funny, I don't like firefox loading the Google homepage every time they update and I change it back to about blank
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

Same here. I updated this afternoon, and experience no problems. You might try manually resetting your home page (Tools/Options/General).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:59 PM

No problems here either with the update.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

Hello,

I updated last night, and I have got a few bugs to report, but I am pretty sure they are because of some extension incompatability issues.

Issue #1:

I keep getting errors that show up in the Javascript console that were not there prior to updating. The funny part is, I get them on my own web site which I know for a fact doesn't contain any errors regarding the Javascript. I know this because with the exception of some scripts from Google and a date script, I don't use any Javascript. I have however notified both Firefox and Google to the bugs I am experiencing.

Issue #2:

I don't exactly remember if I tried to log on at Yahoo last night, but I did try just a little while ago, and I am getting the "Page cannot be Displayed" error. Again, it's funny to me because when I navigate to the Yahoo home page, it shows I am logged in, with mesages, but I can't seem to reach my mailbox to view them.

I will email Yahoo about the problem and see if I can get some response. Yahoo however, unlike Google, seems to have a hard time responding to email with any urgency in my experience, so I will be sure not to hold my breath, and try to debug the problem myself.

As I said, these problems may be due to an extension that I use, (currently 63), so be objective when reading my response, and if I solve the problem I will post back with the What's and How's.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:48 PM

http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/18870...BCCKH0CJUMEKJVN
The link above is to a story in Tech News about the Firefox update. 12 flaws fixed. Some involved how Java script is handled.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:25 AM

Cheers guys for getting back to me on this.
nos,your reply caught my attention straight away, regarding yahoo and you already being signed in. This also happened to me. I had not been on yahoo all day,nor do i have it save my password and username,however when i eventually managed to load up there site,i was logged in,this had me slightly concerned to say the least.

I spoke to a friend this morning,who has been running firefox,he updated last night.Everything was working fine until he closed it for it to update then Problems,and the same problems as me when using the new version and to boot,this is the first browsing problem he has experienced in 3 years, his system is very secure.

I can only see this is somthing to do with Firefox and very few systems,but what the connection is has me stumped.

I will be interested to hear what replies,if any, you get back nos on this.

Today,things appear to be ok so far,a deffinate slow down in browsing,not much,but noticable. I will see how it goes from here.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#8 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

My firefox is working beautifully, although my IE is just like that. My homepage is Yahoo on IE and everytime I open up IE it goes to yahoo but everything is blank! After refreshing the page, everything is there though! This happens everytime I open IE. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

I updated yesterday morning and so far have had no problems. One thing to note is that I didn't use the automatic updater, and rather downloaded the setup files for the new version and did a clean install (uninstall the old version and installed the new).

This is something anyone might try if having problems with the update. Also, as nosnhoj#3 has pointed out, problems can be caused by extensions that won't update. Try going to Tools>Extensions and click on Find Updates.

Firefox also has its own version of Safe Mode for troubleshooting. It will disable all extensions and use the default theme if you click on the Continue in Safe Mode button. To start Ff in Safe Mode look for the shortcut in your Firefox folder of the Start menu. More info here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode_(Firefox)

Note that I've not ever tried the other options like resetting bookmarks, cause it isn't clear how to reverse that back to what you had before. I suppose tho, that everything will be as it was before when starting Ff in it's normal mode. But I would suggest for now just running it with extensions disabled and see if the same problems are experienced. If corrected in safe mode then you'll need to look into which extension is causing the problem.

However, the main reason I posted to this thread is because I was having a different problem with Javascript in Ff before the update so this might be related. Let me say up front that I don't use Yahoo as a portal page or homepage and don't know much about scripting. But do use this as my homepage with Ff: http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firef...:en-US:official

Is this the page we're talking about having trouble with?

To describe my problem, certain functions of websites didn't work. What I noticed was mostly here at BC. When trying to post, I could not use the toolbar to insert any BBcode--including the clickable smilies. It was the same at other forums. Also some of the dropdown menus were disabled and various other functions. On investigating, I found that when I went to Tools>Options>Content there was no checkmark by Enable Javascript. I re-enabled it and the problem was solved. You might check this on your own, I would be curious if this were happening to anyone else. And Elendil, you might check if Javascript is enabled for your IE.

Of course I would like to know what is disabling Javascript without me doing it. I don't have any obvious infections and have checked my HJT and other logs. I haven't had time to do an indepth investigation, but what I have discovered is J-script apparently gets disabled in Ff after my antivirus has done a full system scan. I run Kaspersky and it is set to scan every Sunday morning at 4 am Central time.

I'm not sure yet if KAV is solely to blame--I get the feeling it may be a combination of it and some other security/protection software and/or settings restricting javascript. But could anyone who is experiencing any problem with Javascript in Firefox post back if there is any relationship to the problem showing up when doing an AV or other type of scan, which security programs you're running and if you have found J-script disabled when you didn't set it that way yourself? Also if running any online virus scans may have caused this?

Again, this may be a whole different issue with java script. Graveangel, you know that I know pretty much what you have running on your system, :thumbsup: and we don't have a lot of the same security software in common, but I would be interested in the other data. There are so many different combinations of software and hardware and settings out there that it's almost infinite what the possibilites are for my problem. Don't know if there is a solution for the puzzle. But I'll report back tomorrow after the KAV scan if J-script has been disabled again.

Edited by Papakid, 03 June 2006 - 11:24 AM.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#10 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:27 AM

Like Papakid, I manually downloaded Firefox from www.mozilla.com instead of using the Automatic Updates which could be the problem for you guys. Maybe you could give reinstalling firefox using the manual download of the setup instead?

Edited by Elendil, 03 June 2006 - 11:29 AM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#11 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:17 AM

Hi Papakid,i hope all is well?Like you said,you pretty much know everything that runs on my system so no secrets there :thumbsup: Is yours running ok now after scanning?

My java script appears to be fine,turned on and enabled,no problems after scanning or running programmes so i think maybe our issues could be different. After my initial post, things are working ok again (so far anyway(touch wood)) but i still find it strange as to why it all happened in the first place. It only appeared to happen when on search engine sites,like yahoo,google,and lycos, coincidence???Who knows!
That home site you referred to Papakid http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firef...:en-US:official
, is the home page i use,and the one that displayed a totally blank page. As far as extension problems go and them not updating,i dont think thats what it is for me,ive only got 2 there,and they are updated.

If i was to uninstall FF and re-install as suggested,would i lose my bookmarks and settings.Im guessing i wouldnt,but want to make sure before i take any actions if i decide to do so.

Even though my issue is running ok so far, i still have reservations about it and would like to hear of any problems others are having,and hopefully we can all get our issues sorted.

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:42 AM

A busy thread.
PK-
I used the automatic download for Ff yesterday, with no problems, and it did not change my Javascript settings (I believe that these are kept in the Profile). I can easily log on to Yahoo.
GA-
You can uninstall Ff and install it again without losing your bookmarks, since these and preferences are kept in a separate Profile folder that is not effected by the browser modules.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:51 AM

Thanks John for letting me know about the bookmarks folder, at least now if i uninstall i know they are safe. :thumbsup:

#14 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:01 AM

Forgive my tardiness,

I said I would post back with any resolutions, but it slipped my mind.

Anyhow, the problem with logging into Yahoo went away. I didn't do anything special that I am aware of. My account at Yahoo is not my primary account, and I only check it once a day normally, and the next time I checked it it worked fine. I did the normal things I do everyday, including daily PC maintenance, and my personal reboot log shows that I restarted my PC on that day as well. This may have corrected something due to the install or something related.

My Javascript errors have decreased as far as I can tell, and I am talking with Google about the errors I am recieving regarding their script on my website. I havn't recieved any difinitive answers as of yet, but I will post any resolutions if they are presented to me.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#15 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:37 AM

Sorry I'm late as well. My j-script was still enabled after the virus scan Sunday so I thought maybe my issue had gone away. But then it happened again yesterday morning. That may be because I didn't reboot right after the scan, so still the relationship between the two is inconclusive.

You're right, GA, I don't think my issue is related to yours and those others that have reported the same. The issue you posted about may have had something to do with rebooting after the update or problems on Yahoo's end--in any event they seem to have resolved themselves. I believe my issue is something unique to my system. :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users