Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC slow after renewing thermal paste

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Evenodd

Evenodd

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

I just learned how to put new thermal paste in my laptop using this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCAP9DpCYvQ

My computer boots fine, but after I log-in, the stuff on the taskbar load slow and surfing the web is very slow as well.

What could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 localhostrulez

localhostrulez

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:04 AM

Sounds to me like it's not making good thermal contact, and it's throttling to avoid overheating. Download a tool like hwmonitor and take a look - if your laptop is constantly hitting, say, 80C or above when not under load, you have a problem. Remember, the point of thermal paste is to fill the little cracks in the surface. Thermal paste is better than air for contact. But when too much of it is used, it acts as an insulator instead.

Edited by localhostrulez, 09 August 2014 - 01:05 AM.

#3 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:07 AM

It's possible you may have made a mistake when replacing the paste on the CPU. All else being equal, and that's the only thing that was done to the laptop, then it's fairly safe to say that this is the problem.If that job isn't done just right, issues can arise. Please don't be offended by my statements. Even the smartest minds here have made mistakes working on PCs. Heck, that's how we learn. Failure is a great teacher! Anyway, if the problem is the paste or installation, your processor could be getting too hot and throttling its speed down to protect itself. Use a monitoring tool such as HWMomitor from CPUID to see what your temps and voltages are and CPU-Z from CPUID to see what speed your processor is at in real-time. What is your laptop brand and model number? This will help us help you get to the bottom of your problem..

Edit: I see localhostrulez snuck his reply in first while I was typing mine! Looks like we're thinking the same....

Edited by PanickyD, 09 August 2014 - 01:12 AM.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#4 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

HWMonitor:
2hnxcfq.jpg

CPU-Z
fa4o5x.jpg

It was my first time ever applying thermal paste, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem. I actually hope that IS the problem and nothing worse.

EDIT: My laptop is a Sony VAIO. The model number is VPC-F11LFX/B.

Edited by Evenodd, 09 August 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#5 localhostrulez

localhostrulez

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Those CPU temperatures look pretty normal for a laptop. Was the laptop idle when you ran hwmonitor? If so, try looking at the temperatures and clocks while browsing the web. Maybe download Prime95 (stress testing tool), run it for a few minutes, and watch the temps and clocks. Note: it will get hot while doing this, so definitely make sure to not block the vents (not that you should ever do that). The nominal speed for that 720QM is 1.6GHz, and if it ends up far below that when under load, you might have a problem.

And one more thing to look at - it's often hard to check this via software, but the fan appears to be working, right? You should hear it spinning faster while prime95 is running.

#6 Evenodd

Evenodd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

I found out the problem.

One of my ram pieces weren't properly seated... 

Thanks guys!

#7 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

Super easy fix!

Thanks for posting your solution

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users