Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First build/help with OS install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew.

Matthew.

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

Hi!

Here are my specs in case anyone needs this information:

Gigabyte lmt78 usb3 mobo

AMD FX-6300

8 gigs Patriot RAM 1600mHz

Cooler Master 550W PSU

no video card yet

So I put together my first desktop with no troubles so far. I powered it on and I hear one beep. So far so good. My question is... If I don't install an OS and just let the computer run past the POST screen, what is supposed to happen?

Because when I let it run, it loads until it gets to "boot disk failure, please insert system disk and press ENTER."

Anyways, I have a legit copy of Windows 8.1 created on a USB flash drive. I tried to change boot priority to USB-HDD primary and then Hard Drive secondary, CD ROM third (I don't have a CD rom drive yet either) but the USB never boots to load the Windows 8.1 Installation. Yes, I checked the USB drive and ran the setup file which started Windows 8.1 setup.

Help a newbie out and thanks in advance for the help!

Matt

PS. Excuse my manners. I forgot to say please anywhere in this post. HELP ME PLEASE!!! :)

Edited by Matthew., 08 August 2014 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

So I put together my first desktop with no troubles so far. I powered it on and I hear one beep. So far so good. My question is... If I don't install an OS and just let the computer run past the POST screen, what is supposed to happen?

Because when I let it run, it loads until it gets to "boot disk failure, please insert system disk and press ENTER."

Anyways, I have a legit copy of Windows 8.1 created on a USB flash drive. I tried to change boot priority to USB-HDD primary and then Hard Drive secondary, CD ROM third (I don't have a CD rom drive yet either) but the USB never boots to load the Windows 8.1 Installation. Yes, I checked the USB drive and ran the setup file which started Windows 8.1 setup.

Matt

PS. Excuse my manners. I forgot to say please anywhere in this post. HELP ME PLEASE!!! :)

Hello and welcome :)

The message you see about disk boot failure is because there is no operating system installed.  I.e. that is what you would expect to see.

I'm not familiar with your specific motherboard, but when you turn the computer on, is there the option to press F12 to manually select the boot device?  Try this, and see if your flash drive is listed by name.  This is how it normally is on newer machines anyway, for example on my current PC pressing F12 shows a list of devices with perhaps "USB Sandisk Cruzer Blade" listed by name, which I can choose to boot from.  If not, try to manually select USB-HDD and see if it loads.

BTW, did you create the USB stick using any particular software or did you just copy the contents of the DVD to the flash drive?  I don't believe copying the files will work.  Here's the official procedure.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

Matt

Hello and welcome :)

The message you see about disk boot failure is because there is no operating system installed.  I.e. that is what you would expect to see.

I'm not familiar with your specific motherboard, but when you turn the computer on, is there the option to press F12 to manually select the boot device?  Try this, and see if your flash drive is listed by name.  This is how it normally is on newer machines anyway, for example on my current PC pressing F12 shows a list of devices with perhaps "USB Sandisk Cruzer Blade" listed by name, which I can choose to boot from.  If not, try to manually select USB-HDD and see if it loads.

BTW, did you create the USB stick using any particular software or did you just copy the contents of the DVD to the flash drive?  I don't believe copying the files will work.  Here's the official procedure.

Hi Jonuk76!

Thank you greatly for such a quick response.

I created the USB stick following the link you posted. I downloaded the ISO file straight from the microsoft website (Woot to DreamSparks and free microsoft software!). Aside from that I will try your method with F12 and hopefully I can boot from it.

On the screen before the BIOS, there are a couple options; F9 to go into BIOS, F11 System Information and F12 Boot Menu. I'll let you know how it goes from here. 

Cheers!

Matt

Edited by Matthew., 08 August 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#4 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

UPDATE:

Okay. I figured the problem. I tried the F12 method and the devices were listed. Whats weird was I tried every slot except for one USB slot which ended up working. Weird? My keyboard works however on any slot I plug it into. Im guessing this is the USB 1 on the motherboard that read the USB device.

Looks like everything is in working order. Thank you again Jonuk76! I pretty much gave up for the night until you replied which encouraged me to try again.

Edited by Matthew., 08 August 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

Sounds good :-) Let us know how it goes.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users