Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sceadugenga

sceadugenga

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

I never really understood what Java does but have loyally updated it every time they asked me to.

Then a few weeks back they slipped ASK toolbar under the counter.... I know, I know, read the fine print... and I was that pissed off I disabled it.

The PC still seems to be running normally... so why do we "need" Java?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

I've never used JAVA, don't use JAVA, and never will.  I've never has ill effects from it.  Frankly, I think it is junk.  At the end of 2012 or in 2013_01, the department of homeland security reported an issuse with ALL VERSIONS JAVA, including old ones, that put everyone at risk of being hacked.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

you MIGHT need java if you run a desktop application that uses it. some programs require it as a framework and will not function if it is not installed. you could look over your list of installed programs and see (via google searches) if any of them require it to be there. java's browser plugin should be immediately disabled via the "enable java content in the browser" tickbox in the java control panel(accessed through windows control panel).if you can tell none of your programs need it then go ahead and uninstall java, if one of them stops running(unlikely) you will know why and can fix that by reinstalling java.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Thank you. :thumbup2:

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

happy to help

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

After disabling Java plug-ins in the browser (Security tab) are there any changes to be made in the Advanced tab?  Specifically, Java Plug-in setting "Enable the next generation Java plug-in" ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users