Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've got Windows 7 Ultimate, the upgrade edition. Can I upgrade from Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

As in, keep all of my files and programs? Or will Windows 7 Ultimate clean my computer of everything? Because I hear that in order to save anything, I need to move it to an external hard drive. And if that's what I have to do, what's the difference between the Upgrade version of Windows and the System Builder of Windows if they both wipe my computer clean? If the only way to save anything is to move it to another storage space?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Yes there is no direct upgrade from XP to 7.  You need to do a clean install.  You can use WIndows Easy Transfer to simplify moving your documents and settings across.  Programs need to be re-installed in 7 (the upgrade advisor will tell you of any known compatibility problems).  It's quickest and easiest using an external HDD.  Guide here.  The installer is the same for all - the difference between the different versions is in the license.  The Upgrade version will not accept your product key if you try to install it on a computer that doesn't already have an OS.  The System Builder (OEM) version is tied to the machine it's installed on - the license does not allow for it to be transferred to a new PC.  The "full" retail version can be used for upgrades or installation on a new PC.

Edited by jonuk76, 08 August 2014 - 08:59 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

Transferred to a new PC? How do you mean? Like, the disc is used on two different computers?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

You can't legitimately use a license key on more than one computer at the same time.  But with the retail version you can for example perform a motherboard and CPU upgrade and continue using the same license.  Or you could build a whole new computer from scratch and install the OS on it but you would have to stop using your previous computer with that licensed copy of the OS. The system builder license does not allow for either of these scenarios.  A motherboard *upgrade* is considered a new computer by MS.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'll probably never need to do either of those. I could've bought the OEM version, but I didn't, due to my poor education. And it's too late to return it. This is upsetting. 

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

The upgrade is probably the most appropriate version anyway I would have thought?  It is an upgrade of XP you are doing isn't it (even if it will be using the "clean install" option)?  The system builder software is for installation onto a new PC.

Where I am anyway, the retail upgrade packs are normally around the same price, or a bit cheaper than system builder packs.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

OEM was cheaper. I could've used it on my system that has Windows XP on it, right? It's just gonna wipe everything, right?

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

You are right they will both wipe everything on the disk

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

Then the OEM seems to be able to do everything I need, and nothing I don't. Unfortunately I didn't realize that before it was too late. Well, thanks for clarifying. Maybe one day such an upgrade can exist.

#10 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:06 AM

want a copy of win7?  you can get a free  download a genuine copy here..

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/page-2#post-124821http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/page-2#post-124821

you only need a genuine  key to activate it. You may buy that from microsoft. or you coulldtry the key you have on hand.

#11 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

If I take the hard drive out of my computer and replace it with a different one that's completely clean, will I lose the ability to upgrade from Windows XP? Or is the Windows XP that "counts" written to the motherboard?

#12 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

Yes you will  lose the ability to upgrade from Windows XP? trying to use the upgrade disc

#13 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, trying to use the upgrade disc. :( 

So I bought the wrong disc, and if I want to get a bigger hard drive, I can only attach it as a slave, and my tower case is built as such that it can only hold one hard drive unless I take something out. This was supposed to be the Summer of George.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users