Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is "HoldSecurity" a legitimate site?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Benie

Benie

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

So apparently, there was a humongous security breach from a group in Russia that has affected millions of people, and I was told to go to this website(read this from one of my local news websites) that I've never heard of to see if I'm one of the victims.

I have tried to register twice, and have been waiting for hours for a response(have also checked my spam folder). My email addresses are correct. I use Thunderbird to check my email.

And I just find this site very fishy. Mostly because, I've never heard of it, and it doesn't seem all too... professional. Plus, I've spotted a few typos.

I'm also worried it may've installed malicious cookies(even though Microsoft Security Essentials says there's no threat to my computer), claiming they will help me see if my identity has been compromised.

Just want to know, is this threat real, and the same for this website? Or are both a fraud? The fact this website doesn't mention about the threat, makes me think it's fake.

Edited by Benie, 08 August 2014 - 07:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

Do you really want to pay $120 to know if your name is on the list?

Assuming the list itself is not fake.

I wouldn't trust that site a bit....

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/one-billion-password-theft-firm-wants-users-to-pay-120-to-know-if-their-account-was-compromised-228573.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/2cywhk/how_hold_security_lied_about_12_billion/

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users