Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PXE-E61 : Media Test Failure, check cable - help please?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Inveryes

Inveryes

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Hi

My daughter's Dell Studio 1558 laptop running Windows 7, won't start.

We get as far as a screen with the message:

PXE-E61 : Media Test Failure, check cable

PXE-MOF : Exiting PXE ROM

Operating System not found

I tried pressing F12 at start-up and running diagnostics, but after running for a few minutes, the screen just goes blank.

I can remove the hard drive and using an external cradle, am able to access it on the desktop PC I'm typing on now, so the HD is accessible.

Any suggestions on how to get the laptop running again will be gratefully received! :) 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

This error can be caused by a bad CMOS battery. If a new CMOS battery is installed, reset the BIOS to defaults. If this does not solve the problem and the hard drive is accessible on another computer, it could be motherboard related.

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

When you tap <F12> on boot do you see multiple boot choices as shown in the example below... or something similar?

ex. CD/DVD Drive

Hard Drive

Network Boot

USB Drive

If yes and you see Hard Drive, use the up/down arrow keys to toggle (select) it and press <Enter>

Did the system boot?

#4 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:47 AM

This error can be caused by a bad CMOS battery. If a new CMOS battery is installed, reset the BIOS to defaults. If this does not solve the problem and the hard drive is accessible on another computer, it could be motherboard related.

Thanks for the suggestion. I swapped battery with another working laptop but no joy.

#5 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

When you tap <F12> on boot do you see multiple boot choices as shown in the example below... or something similar?

ex. CD/DVD Drive

Hard Drive

Network Boot

USB Drive

If yes and you see Hard Drive, use the up/down arrow keys to toggle (select) it and press <Enter>

Did the system boot?

Thanks for the reply.

Tried that, but no change.

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

Inveryes Hi

just checking you understood JohnC_21 its the CMOS battery not the Power battery

Thanks for the suggestion. I swapped battery with another working laptop but no joy.

It just seems odd that you would go to the trouble of swapping CMOS battery's when thay are pence/cents

Just a concern 

Good luck 

Hedge

#7 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

Inveryes Hi

just checking you understood JohnC_21 its the CMOS battery not the Power battery

It just seems odd that you would go to the trouble of swapping CMOS battery's when thay are pence/cents

Just a concern 

Good luck 

Hedge

Hi Hedge

It was just for convenience. We had two laptops sitting here so swapping them was a quick way to check if that was the problem instead of driving into town.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

Put the hard drive back into the laptop. If you still have it attached to the other computer I would copy any important data off of it first. Go to BIOS at boot. Is the hard drive detected? Being that you can access the hard drive in another computer but if it is not detected in BIOS, I would think it is the motherboard.

If it is detected I would run a memory test using memtest+ and let it run for a minimum of 6 passes.

Edit: I did a Google on this error and the Dell 1558. It's seems a common problem for this computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 August 2014 - 07:47 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

The point that was trying to be made...the CMOS battery is NOT the normal laptop battery.

Your CMOS battery is listed as Coin-Cell Battery in service manual.

After you change the CMOS battery...generally, you should then enter the BIOS and reset the default settings, after ensuring that date/time data is correct and the boot options have been corrected.  Save the changes or you will likely continue to get the same error.

Louis

#10 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

"I can remove the hard drive and using an external cradle, am able to access it on the desktop PC I'm typing on now, so the HD is accessible."

The hard drive may be accessible in another machine but not recognized in the machine you are trying to boot.

Please install the hard drive in the offending system and power it on. Make sure it is properly seated and fastened (even though it may be temporary)

At the Dell screen...

1.Press <F2> to access the System Setup (BIOS Settings)

What is the System Time? Does it match your Time Zone?

If yes... Leave it. If No... Set it.

3. What is the System Date? Does it match Today's Date?

4. Find the Boot Section.

5. Do you see the Hard Drive Category with a + sign?

If yes... Toggle the + sign and make sure it has your hard drive displayed. then make Hard Drive the First device in the list.

If No... Your Hard Drive is not being detected and most likely needs replacement. Remove it and install in your desktop and recover your important information.

6. Save your changes (if any) and Exit.

Please post back. It's not the end of the world

#11 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Put the hard drive back into the laptop. If you still have it attached to the other computer I would copy any important data off of it first. Go to BIOS at boot. Is the hard drive detected? Being that you can access the hard drive in another computer but if it is not detected in BIOS, I would think it is the motherboard.

If it is detected I would run a memory test using memtest+ and let it run for a minimum of 6 passes.

Edit: I did a Google on this error and the Dell 1558. It's seems a common problem for this computer.

I'd like to post a screen shot which may show the problem, but "it's not allowed in this community" ?

It looks like the hard drive is not detected.

The point that was trying to be made...the CMOS battery is NOT the normal laptop battery.

Your CMOS battery is listed as Coin-Cell Battery in service manual.

After you change the CMOS battery...generally, you should then enter the BIOS and reset the default settings, after ensuring that date/time data is correct and the boot options have been corrected.  Save the changes or you will likely continue to get the same error.

Louis

Thanks Louis. It was the CMOS battery which I swapped.

#12 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

"I can remove the hard drive and using an external cradle, am able to access it on the desktop PC I'm typing on now, so the HD is accessible."

The hard drive may be accessible in another machine but not recognized in the machine you are trying to boot.

Please install the hard drive in the offending system and power it on. Make sure it is properly seated and fastened (even though it may be temporary)

At the Dell screen...

1.Press <F2> to access the System Setup (BIOS Settings)

What is the System Time? Does it match your Time Zone?

3. What is the System Date? Does it match Today's Date?

4. Find the Boot Section.

5. Do you see the Hard Drive Category with a + sign?

If yes... Toggle the + sign and make sure it has your hard drive displayed. then make Hard Drive the First device in the list.

If No... Your Hard Drive is not being detected and most likely needs replacement. Remove it and install in your desktop and recover your important information.

6. Save your changes (if any) and Exit.

Please post back. It's not the end of the world

I have managed to back up all important files on the hard drive.

Does the fault lie with the hard drive or the laptop?

#13 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

You said you have access to another laptop.

If the hard drive type IDE/SATA is the same you could install it in the kaplunk system and see if it is detected.

Don't expect or try to Boot To it.

Just Power it up and press <F2> and see if it is detected.

If yes the problem is most likely the hard drive.

Post back results...

Remember don't boot it just see if detected.

#14 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

You said you have access to another laptop.

If the hard drive type IDE/SATA is the same you could install it in the kaplunk system and see if it is detected.

Don't expect or try to Boot To it.

Just Power it up and press <F2> and see if it is detected.

If yes the problem is most likely the hard drive.

Post back results...

Remember don't boot it just see if detected.

I swapped hard drives between the "good" and the "bad" laptops.

Both HD's were detected in the "good" laptop.

Neither HD was detected in the "bad" laptop.

#15 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Sounds like we're getting warmer.

Is the Memory The Same
By same I mean DDR2/DDR3 etc. Not Necessarily Caring right now about the Memory Size.

See if the index slots on the modules line up.

If yes try swapping memory.

Post back results...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users