Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proxy not responding, cannot turn proxy off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeCron

MikeCron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

Hp made it so I cannot turn off my proxy server but the server is broken and I need to pay them 60 bucks to see if they can fix it (see, not guranteed)

Does anyone know how to fix it without needing to turn it off? Because its locked onto being on and I cannot un-check it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

See discussion here: windows 8.1 proxy settings - HP Support Forum - 3854544

It could be adware as one user there mentioned....(BrowserSafeGuard)

Check your browser add-ons for that and you might run these two programs to check for other such adware.

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

Eset online scanner finds and remove a lot of adware and malware.

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scanner from ESET

Actually, the mention of BrowserSafeGuard being the cause of the problem was linked to

from my first link. It's here: Can't turn off proxy server in my connections setting | DaniWeb

Edited by buddy215, 08 August 2014 - 06:10 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 MikeCron

MikeCron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

See discussion here: windows 8.1 proxy settings - HP Support Forum - 3854544

It could be adware as one user there mentioned....(BrowserSafeGuard)

Check your browser add-ons for that and you might run these two programs to check for other such adware.

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

Eset online scanner finds and remove a lot of adware and malware.

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scanner from ESET

Actually, the mention of BrowserSafeGuard being the cause of the problem was linked to

from my first link. It's here: Can't turn off proxy server in my connections setting | DaniWeb

Yes but how can I download programs to help my computer if my proxy is broken and I cannot use the internet on it in ANY way?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:02 AM

Using another computer, download the programs to a flash drive or CD and transfer them to the problem computer.

You won't be able to do the ESET scan.

You can look at your browser(s) add-ons/ plugins/ extensions and disable or remove the ones you didn't install or recognize.

You can check your Add/ Remove program list for toolbars/ browser protectors that have been added by security programs such as AVG.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

Windows Repair (All-in-One) Portable Download

allows you to use the program from a portable device such as a USB flash drive. This tool will allow you to repair common issues with your computer such as firewall, file permission, and Windows Update problems.  When using this tool you can select the particular fixes you would like to launch and start the repair process.

I would allow all of the repairs listed below.

Windows Repair can perform the following tasks:

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Register System Files
  • Repair WMI
  • Repair Windows Firewall
  • Repair Internet Explorer
  • Repair MDAC & MS Jet
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Icons
  • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
  • Remove Temp Files
  • Repair Proxy Settings
  • Unhide Non System Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users