Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD/Freezing

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Bossnine

Bossnine

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

Hello! I'm a new member here hoping to find someone who can read minidumps to find out what exactly is causing my computer to BS and freeze. Different things happen at different times without pattern, so I'll list all the different things that have happened:

- BSOD (cause is listed as the IRQL/Driver IRQL/etc.)

- Freezing to where I have to hold the Power button/flip the power surge

- Freezing ON the BSOD

- Freezing on startup (has happened at password screen; at screen where I can choose Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Networking/etc.)

- Freezing on title screen

- Complete shut-off at random points without BS

- BS and then complete shutoff

Sometimes after the BS it will try to restart but freezes before it gets past the title screen (where it says "Compaq"). I've updated all drivers from the Device Manager. The BS started around late May, and have gotten more frequent and has a less and less percentage of coming back up. The only way that generally gets it to work for longer than a few seconds is to flip the power surge, wait a few hours, and then start it up. It may work for 2 days this way, but most of the time I can't even get it to come up. The only things I downloaded around that time was Norton renewal (I've had it for years so I don't know if the renewal would cause this) and Framework 4.5.1. I deleted both just to see and it BS/Froze/Shutdown anyways.

I deleted Framework 4.5.1 which seemed to help, as after I did that (and downloaded 4.5) is when it started working for 2 days at a time (before was the few-seconds-only). But it still BS. So I'm lost. I'm one of those people that generally can fix any software/hardware problem, but since BSOD's are nearly always unique to the user and without actual training of how to read minidumps I just don't know what problem it is that I need to try to fix!

I'm not sure the best way/preferred way to upload my minidumps (or anything else you need) as it won't let me upload it with the file attacher, so please just let me know how you'd like the info and I'll do my best to post it (if my computer allows it!). MANY thanks in advance!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Computer Specs:

Compaq Presario SR5710Y

3GB RAM

250GB Hard Drive

AMD Athlon X2 4450e Dual-Core

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

Bought in 2009.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:09 AM

:welcome: Bossnine to Bleeping Computer Community :)

To be able to attach the minudumps, Upload and share the link by registering here https://www.box.com/

Please post what things you have tried in resolving the problem. If there are power restarts and freezing problem, the initial step to take is replacing or swapping a known good compatible power supply of same or greater wattage. Run a bootable hard drive diagnostic test depending on the drive brand including a memtest. This is assuming there is no freezes or restart while performing these procedures.

Tekken

#3 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:38 AM

When I run into erratic failures like what you're describing, the first thing I grab is the Memtest boot disc. I've seen memory cause weird problems at random on several machines. Boot from it and let it run several times. If it produces failures, remove one stick of RAM at a time and re-run Memtest to tell which is the failing module. This is a quick way to prove or rule out memory faults and may save you a lot of time.

"The only way that generally gets it to work for longer than a few seconds is to flip the power surge, wait a few hours, and then start it up. It may work for 2 days this way, but most of the time I can't even get it to come up"

This, like jhayz points out, could be a power supply issue. I've replaced many PSUs, especially on aging machines such as yours (no offense!)

Edited by PanickyD, 09 August 2014 - 01:40 AM.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#4 Bossnine

Bossnine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

Sorry about the wait! I've been busy and my computer has been running fine since the 8th, until it BS'd again today and then I had to wait to start it just like before. I also uploaded the files to Box (including today's) so here's the link:

https://app.box.com/s/362hxcn92l7lgfro8zuv

This isn't all the BS's, as it had been happening a couple weeks before the earliest minidump, but it never created any minidumps for those BS's so that's where they start. 

And oh yeah! I had run Memtest a while back and everything came back fine! 

Edited by Bossnine, 16 August 2014 - 11:09 PM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

The latest BSOD points to superbird.exe (browser), veoh giraffic video accelerator, volsnap.sys, svchost.exe. You need to remove the offending softwares - update drivers from the manufacturing site such as audio, network card. Your computer might also be infected.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
   Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

Download MiniToolBox and open/run the program.
When open, checkmark or select all options then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#6 Bossnine

Bossnine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7O2Q3v8YBRD6Wz6lCzRSlxd

Here is the MiniToolBox results:

Spoiler

And finally the SecurityCheck:

Spoiler

The reason my Java is out-of-date is because it isn't compatible with some of my programs I use so I went back to .55 until those programs release a compatibility pack. I know several people who can't run .65 just yet either haha. 

Edited by Bossnine, 17 August 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Ok, please removed the offending softwares including Slimdrivers software. Only download drivers from the manufacturing support site. Can you post the HP model also next time? Some errors also points to Apache probably a bundled software(?) including a symantec product. Is Norton a paid or trial version?

Tekken

#8 Bossnine

Bossnine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:50 AM

Both SlimDrivers and Apache were downloaded recently, so they shouldn't have any effect on the BS since they've been happening for 2.5 months now (SlimDrivers was even recommended on another website). I use Apache, but SlimDrivers can go. Norton is the full paid-version. Also, SuperBird was downloaded as a less memory-using alternative to Chrome (it's Chromium based) after the BS's started. And whenever I search for Veoh Giraffic player, my computer says there's no such thing on it.

And I have no idea what to do about specifically the volsnap.sys and svchost.exe drivers...

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:57 AM

Can you post the HP model also next time? Did you check for any veoh plugins or addons by your browsers? If the light browser is causing BSODs onwards then it could also be removed later. SlimDrivers software is not recommended as it is considered a crapware. We could check further for any new BSOD dmp logs pertaining to some installed softwares. Just reviewed the 4 latest minidumps last time so it could change as we try to pin the culprits.

Let's try these scanning options.

Download Adwcleaner by Xplode from here.
Click on Adwcleaner and hit the Scan button and will begin to search for PUP and malicious files. Once finished click the Delete/Clean button. Copy and paste the log on your next reply.

Download JRT by thisisu from this link.
Make sure to disable your antivirus or any running protection softwares before running JRT to avoid interferences.
For Vista and Windows 7, right-click and Run as Administrator. In XP, double click JRT icon.
Please be patient and let the program finish scanning.
Once finish, a text document will open then copy-paste it on your next reply.

Scan for Malware using free Malwarebytes
Install then run a quick scan only after updating to the latest definition. Uncheck the trial pro version on setup and remove any found threats after running the scan.
Please post also the result.

Run ESET online scanner
Download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and save it to your desktop
Follow the instructions and Leave the check mark next to .Remove found threats and place a check next to Scan archives
> Hit Start and ESET will begin to install, update and scan your computer.
> After scanning completes, click List of found threats.
> Click Export to text file and save the file to your desktop and name it Escanlog.
> Click Back button then Finish.
  Please Copy/Paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#10 Bossnine

Bossnine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Spoiler

I've already run Adw and MalwareBytes right after the BS's started. ESET is running now so I'll edit it in once it finishes. Also, where can I find the HP Model? I'm a car guy first and foremost so the only things I know HP standing for is horsepower, hit points/health points, and Hewlett-Packard haha.

And here is the ESET:

Spoiler

Edited by Bossnine, 18 August 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

Also, where can I find the HP Model? Compaq Presario SR5710Y

I'm very sorry for the confusion, think I've overlooked your first post. :lol:

Tekken

#12 Bossnine

Bossnine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

Also, where can I find the HP Model? Compaq Presario SR5710Y

I'm very sorry for the confusion, think I've overlooked your first post. :lol:

Oh okay. I was like "what else could 'HP' stand for???" haha

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:16 AM

Please reinstall the original Nvidia graphics driver for Windows Vista 32 bits from here. Remove the current driver, reboot if required then install the downloaded video driver. Please check if Windows Firewall is enabled as Speccy reported it is running in services.

Tekken

#14 Bossnine

Bossnine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

Please reinstall the original Nvidia graphics driver for Windows Vista 32 bits from here. Remove the current driver, reboot if required then install the downloaded video driver. Please check if Windows Firewall is enabled as Speccy reported it is running in services.

Okay it's all set now. Norton turned my Firewall off. Also, I downloaded those newer Nvidia drivers after the BS's started in hopes that they would fix it. My computer just shut down a good 10 times in the past 20 minutes so I'll try going back to the original ones. 

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

Let us know ho it went Bossnine :) Any recent BSOD, please attach the latest. If there is still a sudden shutdown, please post a speccy snapshot and the particular activity when it happens.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users