Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing a Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

I have an  excellently working Computer with Windows XP. No problems at all, but the set is old and I would like to have Windows 7.

If I bought a new desktop computer with Windows 7 installed, what happens to all my installed programs, browsers and personal  data, including my OE6 Email ? Much of this has been customized over the years to what I have now.

It is the culmination of over 10 years experience and I cannot contemplate losing all that accumulated data and facilities to start from scratch. I would rather keep my old set with Windows XP until something eventually goes bust.

Can my complete existing  set-up all be transferred over to the new computer hard disk ? The browsers alone are highly customized. A brand new Chrome installation would be no use to me unless it imported all the existing settings, layout, extensions and information etc. etc. of my current Chrome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ste2ph

Ste2ph

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

As far as I know It you cant transfer your programs when upgrading from XP to 7, but you can transfer your files and settings using Windows Easy Transfer. Read this tutorial from Microsoft, it should explain everything you need to know about upgrading http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

#3 Ste2ph

Ste2ph

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Love the Beaker avatar by the way  :thumbup2:

#4 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Love the Beaker avatar by the way  :thumbup2:

It`s a self portrait of me at the thought of change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users