Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can you make GPT partition with a non UEFI compatible controller?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 solvation energy

solvation energy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hi All, 

I am going to preface this my saying i really have no clue what i am doing, so any advise will help. 

I am currently trying to build a server - RAID10 with ~11GB of memory (24HD, 1TB each, hitachi i believe, can double check if necessary). The RAID builds just fine.

We currently have an Adaptec 5805 RAID controller - but it doesn't look like it is UEFI compatible. The BIOS haven't been updated since 2008, so i was thinking about updating to a newer BIOS version but i am not sure that will fix it. According to the Adaptec website the 5 series controllers are not UEFI compatible. 

I was hoping to make a partition to hold the OS and then have the main data partition. My only question is it even possible to have a GPT partition without the controller being UEFI compatible? If so, how would i go about doing it?

Thus far i have installed the operating system (Windows server 2012), and it automatically partitions into a 2TB primary, and a 350MB backup partition and then the rest of the 10 TB are unallocated and it wont let me do anything with it (obviously) but the disk manager does see the partition. 

Thanks in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

I don't see why not, but do not know for sure.  If you right click the drive in Disk Management (DSKMGMT.MSC) do you have the option to convert to GPT Disk?

KZCCHyZ.png

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

My knowledge of RAID is not the best but I do know that UEFI firmware is only required to boot from a GPT disk.  Additionally, booting from a GPT disk requires a 64 bit operating system.  UEFI is not required to use a GPT drive for data storage.  I've used GPT disks on non UEFI systems.

Edited by jonuk76, 08 August 2014 - 09:39 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

My knowledge of RAID is not the best but I do know that UEFI firmware is only required to boot from a GPT disk.  Additionally, booting from a GPT disk requires a 64 bit operating system.  UEFI is not required to use a GPT drive for data storage.  I've used GPT disks on non UEFI systems.

I agree with Jonuk you only need UEFI to boot from a GPT disk an this apply only to Windows. There is a Microsoft FAQ here.

I suggest you create two volumes on the RAID controller, something like 1TB for the OS and the rest for data, it should be possible to create a "GPT disk" for the big volume and a MBR Disk on the first volume to install the OS and boot from.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users