Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

toshiba satellite pro L850, unusual noises plus diagram wanted

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L850 laptop and have recently(a month or so) been hearing some quiet very high pitched(edge of my hearing) whirrs, hisses and other such sounds from the right hand corner of the laptop(take a straight line from the "power on" indicator light toward the power button and a straight line from the two USB ports toward the left and where they intersect is the approximate noise source.). now this noise might have been going on for longer, or it might be something from the last few months only. it could have been happening earlier but i never noticed, i can't be sure. furthermore if i put my ear right up against this spot i have described i can always hear a faint buzz and hum, i have naturally only put my ear their since i started hearing the slightly louder noise from that part of the machine. the louder buzz,hum,hiss,whirr is only audible a few times every hour. what part of the computer is making a buzzing noise(hard drive, usb ports, some sort of power system)? is it normal for this type of laptop?should i be worried? can anyone provide a diagram of the internal arrangement of this specific laptop type?

thanks

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

This should be it... http://www.manualslib.com/products/Toshiba-Satellite-Pro-L850-3138129.html .

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

thanks but although the manual shows loads of diagrams for the outside it doesn't show any for what is inside(where the hard drive is inside the laptop body,where the motherboard is sitting, where all the things that will be needed t process the incoming electrical power are placed).

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:05 AM

I couldn't find actual teardown manuals either, though if you Google "satellite pro l850 disassembly", minus quotes, you can view various videos that can help.

Important things to have when tearing down a lappy are a place to store numerous screws, and a plastic wedge.

Edited by ElfBane, 09 August 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

i wasn't planning to take mine apart, i just want to know what the buzzing part is and if it is a problem.

#6 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

can anyone work out what part is buzzing(/whirring/hissing/humming)?

thanks

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

i still haven't had an answer to this, what components could it be and how can i check if they are starting to die?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Could be the bearings on the heat sink fan going bad.

Here is a disassembly guide for the L775, L775D, L770, L770D It should be similar to L850

Click on step 22. You can see the Heat Sink Fan.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 August 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#9 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

thanks for that link but the laptop shown is quite different from mine, for a start it's "fan and cooling unit" is where my power cable plugs into, my cooling unit is on the opposite side. it's power button is on the opposite side to the one on mine. my cd/dvd drive is also on the opposite side so i doubt the rest of the internals are in the same positions. what could i do to see if it is the heat sink fan that's buzzing, i could imagine a motor with half-dodgy bearings making the quiet high pitched (limit of my hearing)sounds i sometimes hear. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

The only thing I can think of is to roll a piece of paper and place one end on the area of the fan and carefully place your ear to the other end. If you have a Auto Stethoscope, that would be better.

#11 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

i tried to record the noises but the ambient background hum of such things as: the fridge, my own breathing from several metres away, my clothes rubbing on my skin even when i was hardly moving, the sound recording device's own parts  made the actual sounds i was trying to record get hidden beneath all this other noise. i've looked around online and fond plenty of clips of dead hard drives to listen to but could only find one clip of a healthy one, which like my own recording attempts was too masked by background sounds to really hear any details.the sound i get is certainly more frequent when i'm doing something more demanding with the computer (scanning with MBAM, 3d modelling,etc) but i have heard it occur randomly at other times too. i only got this computer in September/august 2013 but it could be a sub-standard hard drive or something, i don't remember the noise when it was brand new. according to "my computer" the drive (which came "split" into two parts, one for program files©, one for personal documents(D)) when summed up had 120 gigabytes free from 218 gig. if someone knows of a yotube vid with the sound of a healthy toshiba hard drive (one with really good quality sound and the cover on) it would help, all i could find were poor quality vids of dodgy hard drives making really loud clicks.

thanks

#12 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

i am getting very concerned about this, can someone atleast explain how to diagnose if the hard drive is on it's last legs?

thanks

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Download and run Seatools for DOS. You will need to burn the iso file to make a bootable disk.

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

#14 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

does that only work for seagate hard drives or for all models? also can you recommend one that is a normal windows exe file rather than something i have to boot with, which i have never tried before for anything at all.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Works for all disks. For Windows use Seagate for Windows. You can also use Gsmartcontrol.

SeaTools for Windows User Guide

What is the make of the drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users