Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Local Cloud Network For Home Only

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hello,

I already have a local network set up in my house using a fast Comcast wireless.  I have two HP ENVY I7's and a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I would like to set up to use my 3TB Seagate as a server to be shared by my laptops and mobile.  What would be the minimum required to do this?

Thanks 

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2014 - 10:36 AM.
Moved from External Hardware to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

You can do it any number of ways, the Samsung Galaxy might be a bit of a sticking point, depending on what you want to be able to do with it.

First we need to establish the scope of this project.

Do you want to be able to access any of this information outside of your home?

What do you want to save, store, or be able to do?

What is the 3TB drive, just a drive, external drive, network drive?

The easiest way, and cheapest way, would be to share the drive off of one of the HP ENVYs.

#3 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

You can do it any number of ways, the Samsung Galaxy might be a bit of a sticking point, depending on what you want to be able to do with it.

First we need to establish the scope of this project.

Do you want to be able to access any of this information outside of your home? - No, not at this time

What do you want to save, store, or be able to do?- I would like to be able to do the same things you can do with a laptop and the user's document files on it's hard drive.  I have no interest in doing anything with system files.

#4 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

What is the 3TB drive, just a drive, external drive, network drive?-It's just an external drive that I would like to use for storage.

The easiest way, and cheapest way, would be to share the drive off of one of the HP ENVYs.-Thanks, that does make sense.  Does this avoid having to buy another computer to run the external drive like a server?

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

Connect the drive to one of the HP ENVYs.  This machine will have to be on when other machines connect to the drive.

Right click a folder on the external drive that you want to share and select Properties.  On the Sharing tab press the Advanced Sharing button.  Check the Share this folder button.  Call the Share what you want it to be called, add comments if you would like.  Set permissions.  Each user will have to have an account and password set up on this machine.  Change means they can delete and write, Read means read only.  No one needs full control.

QpGKAEa.png

After you have set up the Share you need to set up the Security.  Change to the Security tab.  Press the Edit button.  Add the users you added for Share access and grant them the same rights you want them to have to the Share.  Modify and below for users who can delete and create, Read & execute and below for those that are read only.  Again, no one needs full control.

l7maVZB.png

Once you have the share set up the easiest way to connect it is to create a batch file on the other machine.  The contents of the file will be similar to this.

NET USE S: /D
NET USE S: \\COMPUTER\SHARE /USER:NAME PASSWORD

Where S: is the drive letter, COMPUTER is the name of the computer sharing the drive, SHARE is the name of the share, NAME is the name of the account you want to access the share, and PASSWORD is the password of the account NAME.  Create the file in Notepad and save with a .BAT file extension.

For the Galaxy, I would use Dropbox or a similar service.  For the PCs you can store the files on the external drive and then use Dropbox to sync them to the cloud for the Galaxy to access.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

I wouldn't store it in a bat file in plain text. Instead use: net use x: \\hostname\share /savedcred /p:yes Once the drive is mapped you enter in the password once and it gets securely saved in the Credentials Manager and you never have to enter the password again. However, If you go to Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\Credential Manager from there you can edit, delete, backup, restore. Of course you would want to have a system user password. Each user has their own encrypted credential vault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users