Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sugar coating on my CD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zacoru

Zacoru

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

I recently bought this motherboard: 'http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132045'. It came with a CD to install after you built the computer. Recently I spilled a Fruit Punch-ish drink onto the disk. Upon drying it off, it appears there was some coating on the disk(Which I am thinking is sugar because it is white). Is there any safe way to get it off without harming the disk?

I was originally going to return and reorder it because I have a '1-year accidental damage warranty' on it, but Newegg's return system is an infinite loop that leads to nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

dish soap and warm water with a very soft cloth should work to remove the coating without damaging the surface off the disk.

#3 BitMonk

BitMonk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

Yep, jkostar speaks the truth. I do stuff like this all the time, goodies and drinks at my PC and all. Good success on your build.

#4 Zacoru

Zacoru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

dish soap and warm water with a very soft cloth should work to remove the coating without damaging the surface off the disk.

Yep, jkostar speaks the truth. I do stuff like this all the time, goodies and drinks at my PC and all. Good success on your build.

How warm should the water be? Should I apply the dish soap directly to the disk, or mix with the water? I tried it, and there is still a thick coat on there.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

It should be lukewarm but not hot. I have applied dish soap directly to the disk, and added a little water to get it soapy, Then I rub the disk lightly with my fingers without applying a lot of pressure. I rinse it off under lukewarm water still rubbing lightly with my fingers until all the soap is gone. Then I blot it dry with a  paper towel. I don't rub the towel on the disk.

#6 BitMonk

BitMonk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

I'd say think of doing dishes, about that strength. I'd mix some up in a cup or something first and I tend to use my fingers to "scrub" but I am wondering, was there some alcohol in this alleged fruit drink? :o  Is the part with the writing on it maybe melting or something. The ROM drive actually reads up thru the bottom plastic part.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Tip of the day: When you get any software disk, burn a copy of it ASAP. Label and put in a safe place and don't forget where you put it.

I usually make a copy before I install the software and use the copy later if needed.

My policy is to make 2 copies.

As for cleaning, you can also put a small amount of dish soap and warm water in a container and soak the disk for a while. That might loosen up any residue stuck on it.

For drying it, something lint free can be used. Old t-shirts are good for drying a disk.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Don't even bother.  You can probably download a newer version of the software from Asus from their website.  I rarely install software off of the CD that ships with the products I purchase, normally there is a newer version available by the time it gets in my hands.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

i have a suspicion that a 100% alcohol solution might be best for cleaning the disc. pure ethanol is non conducting and will evaporate off.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users