Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Windows Xp Cd With New Computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:48 PM

Hello,
I'm very close to getting a new computer from Dell. The only problem is they will not provide the XP Prof. CD. I'll only get Recovery CD's. Same thing with MS Office, no CD just a pre-install. :thumbsup:

What's up with that?? I'm paying for the software, isn't it my right to have the software CD? :flowers:

If I need to do a complete re-install (like a new HD for example), won't I need this CD? Also, when updating office with patches, it asks for the Office source CD. Well, I don't have it so how would I update Office??

Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking there are many of you out there with the same problem.

I'd rather not borrow a disc from a friend but have the CD myself.

Thanks. :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

Dell does offer the XP cd's...they want $10. for them now, it's an option you can get from dell, contact their rech support
A few months ago you could've got one. I got a dell fpor someone else, didn't get the software cd so I asked for it over the phone, they kept sending me XP cd's and on the third time they got it right

Edited by Joe C, 02 June 2006 - 04:30 PM.

#3 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:48 PM

I loved DELL when they gave out OEM CD's

They NOW put a recover partition on your drive.

You can burn that to a CD creating a reinstallation / recovery cd...

Let me know if you are interested to learn more.
JU$T1N~1

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:00 PM

New Dell computers have a $10 option to get the Windows cd along with the recovery cd.

I would demand both and wouldn't buy one without them.

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:20 PM

Thanks all for the responses. :thumbsup:

Maybe I spoke to the wrong person, since she said "Dell do not provide the OEM XP CD only recovery ones which are $10." She mentioned it's an agreement between Microsoft & Dell and that Dell do not ship computers without the OS installed. That takes out the option of me buying a retail version of Windows just so I can have the CD.

Should I speak to the supervisor of tech support and request one (even for a small cost)? Should I also say that I will not purchase their computer without an OEM CD?

BTW - I live in Canada, I don't know if Dell's policy are different here. :flowers:

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:53 PM

The statement that Microsoft prohibits them from suplying the disk isn't true, and neither is the one that they only supply the restore disk.

Go up the food chain until you get someone who cares about customer satisfaction or if they sell you a computer or not.

They will charge you though if your computer is out of warranty.

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:15 AM

I'll do that...thanks for all the advice. :thumbsup:

#8 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:32 AM

Hi Guys!

Thanks for everyone's advice and guidance on this. :thumbsup: I know this is an older topic, but I'm having some more concerns over this. I have 4 questions, and if anyone knows a definate answer, please feel free to discuss this in the thread.

Dell provided a CD with XP PRO to reinstall the OS, but it had a Dell logo on it, rather than the original, genuine Microsoft Windows CD. I told them TWICE that I want the Microsoft CD, not a Dell branded copy of the operating system. Asking why I received the Dell copy, no one had a straight answer and several CS reps didn't know, they just kept assuring that the recover CD and ghost image on a hidden partition is all you need. I don't know about everyone else, but I need insurance. Getting an ORIGINAL CD of software from the ORIGINAL software manufacturers is what I want.

Now my questions:

1) Will DELL give me a Microsoft CD that works with my product key on the box? How would I go about getting it, because I seem to be getting nowhere.

2) If there is no way Dell can provide a M$ XP Pro CD, could I purchase a Retail copy of XP and re-install over my OEM pre-installed copy? If I do that, which product key should I use, the OEM one on top of the tower or the Retail key?

3) If I put retail over OEM, will my drivers and hardware still work and will my Dell warranty still be valid?

4) DELL provided a CD that will re-install Windows XP. Is this "slipstreamed" with all of the other bundled junkware that came with my computer when I first turned it on. Or is it a true, Windows only, exact copy of the Microsoft Windows XP Pro CD?

I know, a lot of questions but guidance would be very welcome here. :flowers:

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

The Dell OEM Windows cd is fine. The key number should be on your computer's case, and if it is not, Dell should provide it to you.
The version of Windows Dell gave you is called an OEM version.
I would want both the Dell restore cd and the Dell Windows XP installation cd even if they charge for them because if your hard drive goes, so does the restore partition. When you talk to Dell insist on the Dell OEM Windows XP SP2 CD and the Dell Restore CD as well.

The license you get with a computer manufactured by a major manufacturer or assembler like Dell is different than a retail license in as much as it is good only on that particular computer that you bought from Dell. The software is also different in some ways, customized for your particular computer.

The way they put the operating system on your machine is also different - they image it rather than install it.

Unlike the retail version, it cannot be transferred to another computer if the first computer is destroyed (or you upgrade and remove it from the original computer). The 25 digit key is good only on that particular Dell computer so you do not really own it, you are just licensed to use it on that computer only.

Many of us who build our own computers buy OEM versions which can be purchased for much less than a retail version. This is completely legitimate, and just like the license you have, they are good only on the original computer on which it is first authenticated. Unlike the retail version the OEM version comes with no free support from Microsoft (except for support resulting from problems caused by critical updates), and if you buy the computer from Dell, as you did, Dell provides the support.
If you buy just the OEM version of the op system you do your own support.

Why would you want to buy a retail version?
You already have a legitimate, licensed version albeit only for that particular computer, but buying a retail version (which can be installed but would not have Dell's proprietary drivers or the Dell support to which you are now entitled) would make no sense at this time.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 July 2006 - 01:04 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:36 PM

Dell doesn't buy CD's from Microsoft - so they have none to send you.

What they've got is an image of an XP CD with all the necessary Dell stuff on it - then they make copies for everyone.

This CD contains the "BIOS locking" so that it can't be used with anything but a Dell computer - thereby preventing some piracy.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 BonnieTC

BonnieTC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:19 PM

I was told that you could go on the internet and download a backup install disk for Windows XP Professional. I have the same problem with Office asking for the CD. Does anyone know where to find this web site?
BonnieTC

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

You cannot download a legal copy of an XP install disk. Operating System disks from Dell have always had the Dell logo on them and are specific to each computer model.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:19 PM

Or- like i did, you can buy the Dell Windows XP installation disk for a computer you are building from a Microsofy authorized reseller.

Those Dell disks are not specific to Dell computers like the restore disks are and come with a valid 25 digit key number which is used to validate your installation with Microsoft.

There are HP and Compaq Windows Installation disks available too.

Back to the discussion at hand:

This is from the Dell website where you customize the PC you are ordering:
PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Help Me Choose
PC Restore recovery system by Symantec [Included in Price]
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition re-installation CD [add $10]
Dell Recommended
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...B110A&s=dhs

The PC Restore recovery system is the restore cd and the restore partition.

The Genuine Windows re-installation cd is a Windows XP installation cd.

#14 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:40 AM

OK, so let me get this clear.

The PC Restore recovery system is the restore cd and the restore partition.

The Genuine Windows re-installation cd is a Windows XP installation cd.

The PC restore CD is the Norton Ghost, which will restore my computer to the exact same condition when it left the factory?
And the Windows XP installation CD is used if I need to re-install Windows, but it would have the Dell logo on it rather than Microsoft, is that correct?

Final question
Is the Windows XP installation disk provided by Dell contain any of the bundled software that came with my computer, or is it a "clean" windows?

That final question is very important: I got Viewpoint Media Player, My Way Search bar, RealPlayer, Quicktime, and a lot of other junk pre-installed..yikes. :thumbsup: I had to manually uninstall all these programs :flowers:

So if I ever have to reinstall Windwows, I don't want to get all that crap!

Thanks for all your opinions thus far, you've been most helpful. :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users