Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Should I upgrade? Macbook Pro

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07


  • Members
  • 174 posts
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

I'm looking for advice. I just bought a 15" Macbook Pro with 2.0 Ghz Quadcore i7, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD and Iris Pro Graphics on Wednesday for $1,599.99 (On Sale for $1699.99-$100 student coupon). Today I went in to purchase the Warantee plan for one year and was told that the new version just released. The new Macbook has the same hard drive but the processor is a 2.2 Ghz and the RAM is 16 GB. It is also back to the  original price of $1899.99. Would it be worthwhile in the long run to return it and upgrade to the new one? It doesn't seem like much of an upgrade minus the RAM being doubled and for $200 more it doesn't seem worth it but maybe I'm not seeing everything since I'm new to Mac Ownership.


I am mainly going to use this computer for Typical Browsing, School work (Writing Papers, Research, Online Work), IT work (Diagnostics on a network, downloading utilities, and learning Programming/writing programs), and maybe the occasional light bit of gaming but that will be rare.

I decided on the Macbook Pro for it's power and reliability, not to mention the possibility to download Mac OS for a virtual machine for pentesting later down the road.


I haven't even powered on the laptop, though I have opened it. There is a 15 day return policy where I purchased it starting 08/06/2014. Can anyone recommend whether I should upgrade or if I should be good where I am and just getting buyer's remorse? I appreciate any responses.



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users