Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft to drop support for older versions of Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

Microsoft to drop support for older versions of Internet Explorer

Microsoft announced today that it's dropping support, including security updates, for older Internet Explorer versions. The changes, which take effect in 18 months, are meant to push the vast Windows installed base to Internet Explorer 11.

Thats likely to affect a lot of people: Net Applications says IE 8 is the most popular single browser version worldwide, installed on more than 20 percent of all PCs running a desktop OS, including many that are still running Windows XP.

Stay up-to-date with Internet Explorer

After January 12, 2016, only the most recent version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates. For example, customers using Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, or Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 SP1 should migrate to Internet Explorer 11 to continue receiving security updates and technical support.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:06 AM

Makes since, it requires a lot of effort to create patches & support every version of IE being used. By then, there likely will be an IE12 release for the next Windows version. Other browsers doesn't actively support those 3-4 versions behind, plus as with any software, it's best to run the latest. Newer versions are more secure & has less resource usage. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

I think that MS is aware of the large number of IE8 users.

This is a cost cutting measure, because they are losing ground on the OS sales, as well as the browser front.  (MS-Free with xUbuntu for 5 years!)

They know that most of those still using IE8 are more likely to switch to  Chrome or FireFox, rather than upgrade to Win7 or 8.

Cheers!

Naught

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

I refuse to use IE 10 or IE 11.

Both cause numerous issues that are a pain in the you know what.

IE 11 has no way to disable tabs. I detest tabs.

IF IE 11 would be fixed so I can use it the way I want, without issues, I will be glad to install it. Until then, no way.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

I also refuse to use IE 10 or 11, unless truly necessary, which is less the case these days. Though I believe that on Windows 8 & 8.1 OS's, something's accessing IE anyway, as when I run CCleaner, there's a lot of IE files to be deleted, though I never opened the browser. This is wasted bandwidth for those on a cap, like those who has a cell based ISP limited to 5GB/month. Should be a way, w/out going into the settings & totally disabling the browser, which will cause a warning to be prompted & why I didn't do it, to prevent IE from self-use. Maybe it's the Mail, or other Tiles, though I have most all of these turned off, or the Bing Desktop, which I use, to get a new wallpaper everyday I decide to use Windows. 

My reasons are different than that of Queen-Evie, but still they're valid to me. IE is open to few 3rd party extensions (add-ons). There are now a select few available & these are watered down from that on Firefox/Google Chrome, especially Adblock Plus. The normal configuration screen doesn't show on IE after install, where one has malware blocking, remove social media buttons & disable tracking. Those are three key elements of the extension. I don't know if this link will copy/paste properly, but I'll try. 

chrome-extension://cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/firstRun.html

Web of Trust (WOT) works OK & that's about the only one that does for me. That is not a compelling reason for me to use IE, nor any other browser, just an extension to warn me of possible dangerous Websites. It's not 100% accurate (a few false-positives), though it does a good job of warning of shady sites. 

And there's one option in IE, enabling Enhanced Protection Mode, which requires a restart of the computer, that wipes out those extensions, as they're not compatible with EPM. 

Most likely, if it weren't for business & education use, IE would be nowhere near as used as reported, as many home users has an alternate browser in Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera & a few lesser known ones. As far as I know, Safari is no longer a Windows option, though this could change. Everyone who uses a computer needs to have an alternate browser installed & know how to use it anyway, as if the server that controls IE goes down, one cannot even grab a 3rd party browser on that install. 

There's an IE Tab extension in Firefox to view sites in native IE Mode (for Windows users only), this works for many sites that requires IE, except Windows/MS Update for XP & earlier. That still has to be accessed through IE. 

Since the release of IE8 in 2009, which literally crippled my XP SP3 install & Firefox 3.5(RC at the time) came to the rescue, I've not looked back at ditching IE & it's highly unlikely I'll change my mind. Firefox/Google Chrome has more to offer, is faster, has security extensions, can have the configuration I need. 

However for security reasons, I highly encourage all IE users to upgrade to the latest version possible. That would be IE11 for Windows 7 SP1 & 8.1 customers & at the current time, IE10 for Windows 8. 

XP/Vista customers are stuck with IE8 (XP) & IE9 (Vista), it's best to go to a alternate browser anyway. 

It's still understandable to me why dropping support for older IE versions, these costs lots of time & cash to support & their competitors are doing the same. If one wants support for Google & Firefox, these has to be kept updated. So I don't see the stopping support of a 5 year old browser (IE8) & 3 year old in IE9 as an issue. By 01/12/2016, IE8 will be nearly 7 years old. Neither Google nor Mozilla would think of supporting a browser half that long, let alone do it. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

so on windows 8 (which can only go as high as IE 10) does this mean IE 10 will become unsecure in 18 months time? if it does will simply never using that (already rotten) browser be enough to keep a user safe? or will having IE10 lurking as a few megabytes of (still non-removable?) rubbish on the corner of one's hard drive make one vulnerable even if one always uses chrome and firefox?

as far as 

"Neither Google nor Mozilla would think of supporting a browser half that long, let alone do it." goes though they just do automatic updates on their browsers and you don't find yourself in situations where you have to change the whole browser or change your OS for the new browser to run.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

I do have an alternate browser-SeaMonkey.

I have disabled tabs in SeaMonkey.

While I would like to use SeaMonkey for everything I cannot. There is one forum I am a part of that got borked by "upgrades and improvements" which are anything but upgrades/improvements that toolbar functions such as insert image or link, changing font size, style and color, ability to bold, underline, etc. and using my macros does not work in anything but Internet Explorer.

Another issue with IE 10 and 11 is that for the other forum using Remember Me does not work. I have to sign in every time. With IE 9 remember me works. That site simply does not play nice with IE 10 and 11 and the site programmers have done nothing to fix it.

IE 10 and 11 causes a minor issue here at Bleeping Computer. It's annoying when I have read the UNREAD posts in a sub-forum, go back to the main forum index and it shows what I just looked at is still unread.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

as far as 

"Neither Google nor Mozilla would think of supporting a browser half that long, let alone do it." goes though they just do automatic updates on their browsers and you don't find yourself in situations where you have to change the whole browser or change your OS for the new browser to run.

As long as runs XP or above, yes. Or for the time being with XP. 

The few who (unwisely) kept Windows 2000 Pro, doesn't get the auto update. Firefox 12 is the end of the road & I'm not sure that Google supports the OS at all. 

So yes, there's situations where one has to change OS's to get the latest. XP customers are next on the list & possibly before the deadline of IE dropping support. A lot can happen between now & 01/12/2016, should developers leave unsecure & unsupported OS's out of their plans. Oracle has already done it & wasted no time in announcing no Java 8 for XP. 

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/winxp.xml

And yes, that includes IE10 on Windows 8 & as a double whammy, the OS itself on that same date, if not upgraded to 8.1, or the next version of Windows. This was published long ago, those who keeps up with these matters likely knows. 

One thing that I don't like about IE11 (or any version), is that when clicking onto a link, say on my email to view a Topic here, a whole new IE windows opens by default. This isn't the case with Chrome or Firefox, a new Tab will open instead. Tried out IE11 & earlier versions a few times to assist members here, not for my personal use. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users