Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring Blinkx adware causing annoying popups in browser

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 stardiver

stardiver

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

I know very little about computers, so hopefully someone here can help me. I tried posting on the Apple Discussion forums and emailing Thomas Reed of The Safe Mac. The solution has temporarily fixed the problem, but suddenly (after two weeks) it is back with a vengeance.

Basically, I originally posted my problem and described how my Firefox window was constantly being interrupted by in-window popups for a site called cdn.blinkx.com/uvp-0.2.1/applications/blank.php. The site itself doesn't appear to do anything - just a blank black page - but it is very annoying and can make the browser almost unusable at times. I do not do any unusual downloads but someone else who uses the computer might have; I suspect this is how it became infected.

I ran Thomas Reed's TSM Reporter Tool. He informed me that I had some Veoh adware on my computer, and advised me to find and delete a file called com.veoh.webplayer.startup.plist. I did this and restarted the computer. I had no problems for two weeks after this. Suddenly, however, the problem is back. The file I originally deleted is nowhere to be found. I am wondering if I should seek a second opinion on this matter, from this forum or from an in-person professional.

I own a MacBook Pro that runs OS X 10.7.5. My main browser is Mozilla Firefox, but all browsers become affected if I open them. If I shut down a browser, the virus will try to open my browser again so it can display the page.

Out of curiosity, I tried to use the Finder bar to search for more "Veoh" files, and found a Veoh folder in iMovie as well, along with a file called "VeohTV2Version.plugin" in the folder Internet Plug-Ins in the Library folder.

I am currently very scared and worried about my computer's safety. Any help you could offer would be very much appreciated.

Edited by stardiver, 07 August 2014 - 06:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users