Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can Chrome Usernames and Passwords be Backed Up ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

I have always been  paranoid about accidentally losing all my password data. It would be a disaster if this ever happened. My whole web world would fall apart.

I have surfed the web on this and read a few solutions using small programs, but cannot say I  am too happy with any of them. They seem too complicated.

I only have my C-drive, no discs or any secondary backup. So my need is to copy all my password data and place it a special folder, so that hopefully if a disaster does happen, all this data can be easily imported back into the Chrome Saved Password Settings.

Is this copy/paste or importation of such data possible ? If not, what is your proposed best and easy solution ?

PS - LastPass is a Chrome extension that  seems highly recommended and the write up is good. But who then autu-fills the names and passwords - LastPass or Chrome ? Will there be an auto-fill  conflict between the two sources ?.

Edited by Beaker77, 07 August 2014 - 02:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:12 AM

It is looking rather like there is no password backup in existence for Chrome, so if you lose them, you lose them - gone. Just make sure you don`t.

I tried LastPass. No use at all. I  expected LP to import my existing password data and then continue saving and filling, a kind of relay take-over job. I was disappointed, no importation of existing data, no continuation, they expect you to re-invent the wheel and start loading your data manually from scratch onto a blank sheet !

Not wishing to go back 10 years and with Chrome providing an impeccable automated and faultless password service, I had no intention of going back to a hammer and chisel, so I dumped LastPass as being useless.

All I want is a progressive duplicated backup to my password data as listed in the Chrome Settings. As of now, it looks as if 2014 has not yet generated such a simple need.

Password data is very easily lost. For example, Click & Clean, a Chrome extension that I do use has a selection box covering passwords. One single accidental manual check in this box, or if the C&C default checks the box and you do not uncheck it, your entire password records are gone forever. As easy as that.

Edited by Beaker77, 08 August 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Does the normal Windows System Restore include password data ?

I buzzed the web on creating a System Image, which seemed to include almost all personal data and settings, plus of course a lot more. But I got confused by talk of third party software, which I would never use for such a purpose.

Can a system image be created through the existing Windows system using the current "C" drive for storage ? If so, does it include restoring lost password data ?

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

write them on paper in a disguised form, write numerical ones as if they were phone numbers, word ones hidden in sentences and alphanumeric ones written so they don't tally with the user too clearly(if you have too many pwords and usernames then work out some sort of scheme for being able to connect the two lists which isn't too obvious.). for all unimportant stuff (like when a news site forces you to sign up to comment and you do so under fully false details) use the same password, for important stuff use different passwords for everything. then with your highly confusing sheet/notebook of passwords hide it under some dull looking documents at the bottom of a lockable safe. you may also consider writing down the passwords with their letters in reversed order, it's not a secure cipher at all but hacker's don't often come into one's house, open safes. dig around in what look like unimportant documents, spend five minutes trying to recombine your user list with your password list and then think " oh hang on this string of numbers password doesn't work, it must be in reverse order". i assume at present you can access the text of all your passwords well enough to do this?

if all you can do (i don't store passwords electronically so i wouldn't know) is click on password fields on website logins and see a line of bullet points try fiddling with "page source" and changing the field type for those password entry lines into "text" rather than "password". this should let you se what the blanked out password is so you can write it down before turning the field back to "password" type.

you will have to this for each password you need to write down, naturally changing the field type just shows your computer an altered version of the page where the field will display text not bullet points. it doesn't affect the actual website, just what you see on the screen.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

I have a strange feeling that creating a duplicate copy of the Chrome username/passwords listing in a separate folder or a third party program file by exporting the Chrome data and then in the case of loss to restore  the original Chrome listing by importing  the data back, is an impossibility.  

Seems a simple need, but it looks rather as if the security issue defeats the objective.

I have created a manual record of my Chrome usernames/passwords by taking 9 screenshots and storing them in a special folder. I know it is a dead list valid at the date of action, but it is better than nothing.

Edited by Beaker77, 11 August 2014 - 06:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users