Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation of Windows 8.1 doesn't continue after restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cydrobolt

Cydrobolt

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

INITIAL ISSUE: Could not boot

Last week, I tried to dual-boot install Fedora Linux onto my Windows 8.1 PC (Asus CM1435 Desktop). I resized the Data Partition (not OS partition) by 100GB. I then restarted the PC, and Fedora seemed to work okay, however, I could not got Windows to start anymore. I then turned on Secure Boot and other Windows 8-optimized settings and tried to start up again; it did not work, Windows could not boot. 
I tried to search up some details on how to fix this problem, and I came across bcdboot and bootrec commands, and ran them (/fixmbr, /fixboot, /rebuildbcd), however, there was no luck, as /rebuildbcd gave me a 0 disks found error. I also followed the instructions here (https://neosmart.net/wiki/recovering...ws-bootloader/). At this point, "Windows Bootloader" disappeared from the BIOS. Restarting resulted in a "Missing Operating System" error.
I tried using a Windows 8 installation disk, and tried Reset and Refresh, but neither worked. Reset gave me "Recovery Partition could not be found" (was still there, just got messed up in the resize or something), and Refresh gave me "Disk where windows is located is locked" (perhaps from fast reboot?)
Then, I gave up all hope on the current installation. I booted into my Windows 8 recovery disk, formatted C:, and installed it from there. When it got to "Windows needs to restart to continue", restarting put me to "Missing operating system", and I could not continue the installation. I tried it again, (formatted and ran again), but no luck there. 
TLDR: Installing Linux broke Windows. Deleted Linux and could not reinstall Windows from repair disk. Formatted partition for Windows and used Windows 8 disk to reinstall, but errors.

Current Issue: Cannot install

Deleted all partitions except a factory recovery partition and a data partition. SYSTEM partitions and boot partitions were deleted.

Put Windows 8.1 disk in, installed into unallocated space. After installation got to the "Restart Needed" part, PC restarts and does NOT continue installation. I looked at the partitions the setup installer made, and it seems everything is correct (MSR's, EFI boot partition, etc). However, PC won't boot from Windows Bootloader. My PC is on a GPT disk, UEFI BIOS. Windows Bootloader used to be listed in the UEFI menu, but now it is not listed, and cannot be booted to it. When I disable UEFI and boot, I get "Missing Operating System". With UEFI, it just says I need to disable it to boot. 

Screenshots of partition scheme:
http://imgur.com/nxhkcoU,vcvGiZj

Please help, any help is highly appreciated :D

TLDR: When I install Win8.1 (fresh install), the installer gets to the "restart" part, then restarts but the setup does not continue after that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hi,

Try this, for the second boot make sure the PC boots from the Windows 8.1 DVD, select Repair Your Computer on the next screen click Continue (Exit and continue to Windows)

The installation of windows continued?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Cydrobolt

Cydrobolt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Hi,

I've been able to resolve this problem by installing Fedora and using Grub instead of Windows' Bootloader. Thanks for the help!

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Ok. Thanks for reporting. :thumbup2:

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users