Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spigot virus causing slow internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 King Crawford

King Crawford

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Speed test results:

3673567175.png

Hey guys, so I built a new gaming PC and Ive noticed that when I try to surf the net in Chrome, having more than one tab open causes problems.

So I have one tab open, but when I go to another website using another tab, it will either take a while to load and give me a stripped version of the website (white background, images aren't loaded) or it just takes too long to load and times out. I have another pc and the connection is solid and fine on that one.

So I ran AVG 2014, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and and Advanced System Care on my computer. Only Malwarebytes picked something up, finding 15 threats, all from something called Spigot. So I quarantined them. Also went to configure startup menu to disable some of the spigot stuff.

Restarted my computer, opened Firefox and still having the same damn problem, also internet connection is getting slower. Also saw that random search engines were added to the Search Engine list on the Firefox toolbar. (Yahoo, Bing, Ebay and Amazon.)

Can someone please help me?

Edited by hamluis, 07 August 2014 - 10:27 AM.
Moved from MRL to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hi there,

To remove "spigot toolbar" from your system follow these simple steps: http://www.spigot.com/about/contact-us/uninstall-spigot-toolbar/

The "spigot search settings" is another file you could remove from "add and remove programs" http://www.spigot.com/about/contact-us/remove-spigot-search-settings-application-searchsettings-exe/

To removing "spigot" from Chrome follow these steps: http://www.spigot.com/about/contact-us/change-home-page-new-tabs-default-search-settings/

In Firefox you would need to type "about:config" on your Firefox URL and press enter, then click on "I'll be careful I promise", type "spigot" or "MyBrowserBar" or "Dealio Toolbar" on the search box underneath the URL, then reset all strings with "spigot" or "MyBrowserBar" or "Dealio Toolbar" - right click and choose "reset"

Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users