1. The filtering engine on my domain is a basic filtering engine. Although I could purchase an advanced package, I see no reason for it, because I have multiple levels of filtering.
2. I could if I wanted, drop e-mails with attachments to a specific folder, on the server. This would isolate e-mails with attachments.
3. However, on all e-mail accounts that I would receive statements for (e.g. my bank, phone company, etc), I get a notice saying the statements are available on their server, and then I download them manually. In these cases, attachments are moot, because they don't send them via e-mail.
4. Because of #3, the most likely e-mails with attachments could possibly be "trouble" e-mails. So why take a chance? The only exception might be software I've bought on line. So far all of the licenses have been displayed on my screen, where I copy/paste it into a text file, create a PDF copy, and a screen capture of it, and save it into my PC licenses folder. But they also send the license via e-mail, and its never been an attachment. So attachments are a moot issue.
5. Remember, e-mail attachments are one of the ways viruses/malware are spread. The addressee gets an e-mail, opens the attachment, and bam, their infected. Again, why take the chance?
6. Just another extra step, that I take that has kept me virus/malware free for about 19 years.
---- This added on my off-line prepared copy on 2014_08_09
7. I found out yesterday, that my hosting company may have something that will easily check for attachments, differently than I do. However, I don't know that I'll be getting it because:
7.1. It cost additional $$.
7.2. The functionality is on a third party site.
7.2.1. My e-mails would be forwarded to their site to evaluation, then sent back to my e-mail server for delivery.
7.3. The third party site, on their contact page says that:
7.3.1. Their site says their in one country.
7.3.2. But their phone is in another country.
7.3.3. They supposedly have a US office, but their fax is in Europe.
7.3.4. They have an office in a country that I'm considering placing on by "bad country" list, but haven't made the final call. I haven't used any software from this "bad country".
Have a great day!
Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 09 August 2014 - 07:39 AM.