Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No AHCI?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bob.

Bob.

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Machine: Toshiba M305D-S4831
History: Came with Vista 64 bit installed. Several years ago, I installed Win 7 64 bit. It's been so long, I honestly can't remember if I installed in in AHCI mode (it was a fairly recent technology back then).
I partitioned the (only) drive into 3 partitions (I dumped the recovery partition).

Recently, I attached a Thermaltake BlackX esata (also usb2) drive dock to the combo USB/eSata port. The system wouldn't recognize it. I checked the bios. The only sata setting is for the sata controller mode. It's set to AHCI (as opposed to "compatibility mode").

I then checked the reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci --> Start

The key value is '0', as it should be. There is no iastorV folder in the HKLM tree, but my understanding is that it's not necessary.

Device manager does NOT show an AHCI device. (see image).

Maybe it's something simple, but I don't see it. All seems to be as it should be, but no AHCI in device manager and no esata.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

the combo USB/eSata port.

What is this? The specifications on the Toshiba website for this model show:

Expansion

Media 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter, S/P DIF output port (shared with headphone port)

USB Ports

3-USB (2.0) with Sleep and Charge

iLINK

i.LINK™ IEEE-1394

Edited by Platypus, 07 August 2014 - 08:50 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

Hi Platypus. Thanks for your response. I'm not sure why it's not listed in the specs on the Toshiba site, but there is a combo USB/esata port, as is excerpted from my manual below (and also, esata cable fits):

begin excerpt:

•Data

o i.LINK™ IEEE-1394
o USB v2.0 – 3 ports with sleep and charge
o 2 USB v2.0 ports
o 1 eSATA/USB combo port
o RJ-45 LAN port
o RJ-11 modem port

Edited by Bob., 07 August 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

That's an odd one, but apart from not being an "approved" connector, evidently it just works as an eSATA connector. Does a hard drive operate in the docking station?

I'm wondering if you're looking for the station itself to appear as a device? It's just a connector with power for a drive, there's no device there to show as eSATA or AHCI. eSATA  itself is just a stronger plug for external connections, to the computer it's just another SATA cable - and AHCI is the operating mode of SATA and is appearing as AMD SATA Controller.

#5 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

No on the station appearing as a device. We use them all the time. I've also tried connecting a drive directly to the port with an esata/sata cable and a power supply. Same result...nothing. I don't have time atm, but I thought Process Explorer might give me some clues, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see. I guess I'll check to see what pops up with other docks on other machines to see what process might appear when the drive is powered on.

Other than that (and since tell me that the amd sata controller is the ahci controller), I can only think that it might be the amd driver (this is the only amd cpu based machine we have...)? I guess I'll have a look around google, amd and Toshiba to see if something's out there. Maybe only a Vista driver will work. I'll post back here with any success.

If you have any other ideas, much appreciated.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

No on the station appearing as a device. We use them all the time. I've also tried connecting a drive directly to the port with an esata/sata cable and a power supply. Same result...nothing. I don't have time atm, but I thought Process Explorer might give me some clues, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see. I guess I'll check to see what pops up with other docks on other machines to see what process might appear when the drive is powered on.

Just to confirm you powered on the eSata drive before starting the machine?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

Just to confirm you powered on the eSata drive before starting the machine?

Yes. I also tried rebooting the machine with the drive connected and powered.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

How big is the hdd you have on the docking?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#9 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

I've tried various sizes...from 250GB to 1TB (thanks for your interest).

Edited by Bob., 08 August 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#10 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Just a 'workaround thought', but assuming this may take some time to resolve (if ever...), would a USB 3.0 express card to sata/usb3 adapter/enclosure provide decent performance (given that the technology didn't exist at manufacture)?

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Don't know about Express card and USB3.

One limitation could be the BIOS ability to handle big HDD's, updating to the last BIOS version available eventually could help!

If the 250GB Hdd you have is 2.5" I would try to temporarily replace the HDD on the machine to check if the BIOS can detect the disk correctly.

___
Rui

#12 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Actually, reading your post prompted me to look for an older 160GB drive I have laying around. It turns out that that's what's in the dock that I already tried. But the drive in the machine is 200GB, so I would think that even 250GB would be recognized.

If the 250GB Hdd you have is 2.5" I would try to temporarily replace the HDD on the machine to check if the BIOS can detect the disk correctly.

Actually, not a bad idea. I could do that even with a 3.5" HD, a sata cable and power supply. Good troubleshooting technique. But I somehow have the feeling that it won't work. I've not used this port on this machine before. I'm beginning to think it may be that it somehow lost function via the clean x64 windows 7 install (from vista x64).

I'm off to a jobsite at the moment and may not be able to get back to this until sometime on the weekend. I appreciate the ideas and wil check back to this thread for any subsequent suggestions. Thank you both very much for your responses.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

Actually, not a bad idea. I could do that even with a 3.5" HD, a sata cable and power supply. Good troubleshooting technique. But I somehow have the feeling that it won't work. I've not used this port on this machine before. I'm beginning to think it may be that it somehow lost function via the clean x64 windows 7 install (from vista x64).

No this isn't OS dependent at least the machine should show the HDD on the BIOS, eSata is like connecting the HDD internally except the HDD power is external.

___
Rui

#14 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

A few more developments: 

1. The Thermaltake drive dock was bad (at least on the esata end, which is what I need). I only had a few more days to submit a return, so fortunate there.

2. The drive still isn't recognized via the esata port in OS or BIOS (flashed latest to cover bases)

3. The drive is recognized when I connect via a USB to esata adapter and sata power supply (usin the same esata/usb combo port).

I guess the only conclusion here is that the esata portion of the combo port is bad. I'd be fine if someone suggested otherwise, though, as I could really use the esata in the field.

I suppose the fastest option available for that machine now is a USB 3.0 express card. Not native 3.0, but it has to better than native USB 2.0. Doesn't it? :inlove:

Edited by Bob., 08 August 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

If the dock was bad and no drive will work directly on the eSATA port, maybe one damaged the other? :(

An ExpressCard adapter should be faster than using USB 2.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users