Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded home wifi and now laptop has no internet connection


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Meriaux

Mark Meriaux

  • Members
  • 52 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia, USA
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

A couple months ago, I upgraded my cable modem to DOCSIS3.0, and just yesterday upgraded my WiFi router. I also changed the WiFi security settings and went around to all my devices to make sure they were accessing properly.

 

The weird thing is that all of the network devices were able to connect and work properly except one laptop.

 

Dell Lattitude D820

Windows XP Home SP3

 

The wireless network card seems to be working properly in connecting to the network, as I can type in direct (numeric) IP addresses and see the router and modem, but this machine has no Internet connection. Under LAN & Network connections, there is no internet connection listed. So far, I've tried:

 

Tried to "Add a Connection" - still not showing an internet connection

Updated the Driver for the 1390 wireless card - now matches Dells most current version

 

Any ideas?



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Mark Meriaux

Mark Meriaux
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 52 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia, USA
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

DOH!

I found the setting.

 

Under the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) settings, I had "Use the following DNS server" checked.

The DNS server changed with the new router.

I updated the DNS server and things are working again - (I could have also used "Obtain DNS server automatically").

 

Please feel free to close or delete this thread if it is not useful.



#3 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 56,127 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for letting us know...it's always useful when someone posts a resolution to a situation that is typical for many users.

 

Happy computing :).

 

Louis






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users