Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website Advertisement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:49 AM

Hi everyone. 

So I'm another one of those aspiring teens fresh out of high school and I'm trying to start a business. One of the forms it takes is in a webpage (here)! I figured it would be cool to have one since I'm a "business" (not quite registered just yet)! 

I've done a ton of work on the site and I really want to get people interacting on my forums page kind of like here but I don't quite understand the advertising part.

I know social networks are great for advertising but the only ways I can think to do it is by creating a page and by posting about it so my friends can see it...I don't want to spam them though and even when I do advertise I might get one or two page hits every two or three days (although I did get 16 in the same hour once and I got really excited!) and I don't get any forum posts. 

Anyone on here willing to spare a secret or two of the trade? 

Thanks,

Daniel

Edited by Gotcha_Hotshot22, 07 August 2014 - 04:51 AM.

Thanks,

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

The problem, as I understand it, from your perspective is that you are trying to set up a computer repair business. This is an essentially 'local' business and the internet is international. Absolutely no offense, I don't care how good you are - I live in the UK and you live on the far NW tip of North America. I am NOT going to ship my computer to you for repair !  We can both offer advice and instructions to anybody in the World, but we cannot get our hands on the equipment.

There are basically two ways to go about this.

If you have the capital, take on small premises, run a local advertising campaign - local press, radio, posters, door to door leaflets - and sit back and wait for customers. Then do a good job.

If you don't have the capital, then you have to do it more slowly. You build up a customer base by fixing problems quickly, effectively and economically. I am not saying you can't charge a realistic price, but put your charges out upfront. Word of mouth is the most effective advertising you can have for a local business. But you will have to accept that you are going to start out on a part-time, hobby, basis. You will need a part-time job just to bring in the money to buy the groceries at first.

I wouldn't worry too much about the web-site and facebook presence. Yes, you need them but you are aiming at a local market, They don't need to be the finest works of graphic art since Disney but they do need to have your contact details prominently displayed. I spent nearly five minutes this morning trying to find 'contactus' details on a large company's web-site.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:33 AM

You're absolutely right, it makes since to do what you said! Word of mouth takes about 5 minutes to get around the entire town here...yeah, very small town. But I'll be moving back to Tennessee eventually. Anyway,thanks for the help!

As far as the website goes I'm aiming more at the forums page and not the available services. So I believe the forums audience would be techs and anyone in need of help with computers. So, like this place but I'm advertising my services there as well. An added bonus, I guess? 

You'd think my mother being the most popular blogger as far as true crime books, movies, etc goes would be able to help me, and she is, she just doesn't want to. :| 

Quick overview incase I was unclear in my purpose:

I'd like to advertise my forums page to a audience consisting of tech geeks (nerds if you prefer) and anyone in need of help. 
The available services page (and the contact us page) is just a plus if anyone from my area sees it.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Thanks,

Daniel

#4 YourFriend

YourFriend

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

For setting a business you don't necessarily need to create Forums. You can start blogging, solve people problems, give them tips, help them out, share knowledge with them etc. Long and short, turn them into your susbcribers and when you have started getting enough traffic, you can display ads on your Blog.

Creating a seperate page for advertisement is not good. Seriously, who intentially goes to the advertisement page? What you can do is, write a tutorail about something and show ads on the right side.

This works better.

If you want your business on international level, I would recommend you to join some good Affiliate Programs. You can help someone else selling their products and they will pay you commission.

This is also a great business nowadays callled Affiliate Marketting.

#5 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

I must've been unclear... I want my website to be solely based on the forums. the 'advertisement' page is one that's full of ads and it's not even labeled advertisement page. It's called available services. It lists the services we offer for anyone in our area. It's fine if people in Florida visit the forums, that's fine, but if someone here in alaska checks them out then they'll also have the abillity to order one of our services. It's like combining a business website with a web forum for tech. The best of both worlds (as long as you're in our servicing range).

The forums are for anyone and everyone.

The available services is for anyone in my area.

Thanks,

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users