Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rosetta spacecraft on final approach to comet landing, Australian links

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:59 AM

Just saw this on the news and figured it would interest somebody as much as it did me. Watch the video's. Makes a nice change from all the doom n gloom.

Imagine sending a spacecraft more than 6 billion kilometres with the goal of landing it on a comet just five kilometres wide.

That's the task facing a team undertaking the most complex space mission since the Moon landings, and Australians are playing a central role.

Launched by the European Space Agency, Rosetta has become the first spacecraft to catch up with a comet, a landmark stage in a decade-long space mission that scientists hope will help unlock some of the secrets of the solar system.

Rosetta spacecraft on final approach to comet landing

Edited by NickAu1, 07 August 2014 - 04:03 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

this is good news indeed, proves our species is capable of dong some good somewhere. what i really look forward to is when the Philae lander touches down on the comet's surface.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

Good news, the philae lander will be landing on the comet within the next week. It will be the first time any man made object has ever landed on a comet.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:45 AM

rp88, see here, and kudos Nick for the original tip, sadly that video has expired, but there are others out there.

New York Times say, in part:

On Wednesday, at 3:35 a.m. Eastern time, the 220-pound lander, named Philae, is scheduled to detach from Rosetta and be pulled downward by the comet’s gravity. Signals from Rosetta will take nearly 30 minutes to travel more than 300 million miles to mission control in Darmstadt, Germany.

Philae will be aimed at a landing site that covers about a third of a square mile; the area looks relatively smooth and clear of boulders but is still close to streams of dust and gas shooting off the surface.

Seven hours later, give or take some minutes, Philae is to bump onto the surface. The comet, 2.5 miles wide, is so small and its gravity so slight that even after that long fall, Philae will be traveling no faster than walking pace.

So, it's all happening - it "spaces me out" :hysterical:

:wizardball:  Wizard

Somebody stop me - Jim Carrey, The Mask

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

Spaced out is a very apted term.  The physics and navigation involved in this incredible feat just baffles the mind but obviously not the computer. 

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,075 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

sadly that video has expired,

http://youtu.be/FI9FQtQ0oZg

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#7 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:40 AM

For those looking for a little humour with their broadcast, here's a "live" comic strip, updating every 5-10min: http://xkcd.com/1446/

Here you can see a replay of all the comics drawn: http://xkcd1446.org/

Livestream of the landing can be watched here: http://new.livestream.com/esa/cometlanding

If all went well the Philae just landed... But it'll take another 30min until we know if it worked. Suspense.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

It has just touched down succesfully

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:24 AM

r_16-25-00_MZ7aAUNWN5.png

:)

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

Looks good 2 out 3 ain't bad.
We landed twice: Philae comet probe may have bounced after harpoon failure

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

Tweet from @Philae_ROMAP
"magnetic field analysis revealed 3 landings at 15:33, 17:26 and 17:33 UTC"

Two bounces, the first taking almost two hours.  The gyros switched off at first contact.  At this point, there are questions as to whether the lander is even right side up.  Have to wait on more data.  Fingers crossed. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,075 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

Philae 1 km from original landing site, exact location unknown

Overnight, the European Space Agency (ESA) got a clearer picture of what happened during yesterday's landing on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. The news is mixed. Philae is definitely on 67P, but it did not land flat—only two of its legs are in contact with the comet. It also landed in the shadow of some of the comet's topography, which limits the amount of solar power it can generate. But perhaps most significantly, we're not entirely sure exactly where Philae sits.

Last night, as the initial data from various instruments started to come in, some data suggested that rather than landing, Philae had bounced twice before settling, executing a total of three landings. Today, the ESA has confirmed that there were two bounces, and one of them was rather large. The initial touchdown was within 100 meters of the intended landing site. But the first bounce was large, lasting about two hours and taking the lander roughly a kilometer away. That was followed by a low-velocity bounce (3 cm/second) that lasted only seven minutes.

Incidentally, we reported that the lander's harpoons had successfully fired yesterday, which could have prevented these bounces. That idea came up in today's press conference as well. It turns out that sensors had read that the harpoons had read the touchdown signal and responded by starting to wind in the cables, which made it appear that they worked as intended. Further checks, however, revealed that the touchdown signal never triggered the firing mechanism.

Philae 1 km from original landing site, exact location unknown

Arch Linux .

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:13 PM

Crikey, I took a double take when I looked at the length of that video, Nick, but thanks! I am going to watch it in full this weekend

Thanks to all the above, as well.

Lightning strike Tuesday night took out part of our local telephone exchange, and so the district has had no internet for nearly three days until a few minutes ago, I have been going bananas.

Thanks again

:wizardball: Wizard

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,075 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

Mankind's first-ever probe of a comet found traces of organic molecules and a surface much harder than imagined, scientists said of initial sample data from robot lab Philae.

Philae fell asleep on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko on Saturday, having run out of onboard battery power after 60 hours of prodding and probing an object zipping towards the Sun at 18 kilometres (11 miles per second).

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/25551364/comet-probe-sniffed-organic-molecules-early-data/

Arch Linux .

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,075 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:06 AM

The Rosetta Blog can be found here.

http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/

Waiting for a signal from Philae

http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2015/03/10/waiting-for-a-signal-from-philae/

Arch Linux .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users