Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does an ISP have a different server for each email client?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:45 PM

Had an ISP l;evel 1 rep tell me that the ISP has a separate server for every possible email client being used by customers.

Is this true? I have a hard time believing it!

e.g. I'm using Thunderbird - someone else is using GMAIL and a third person is using OUTLOOK. All three of us are using roadrunner. Does RR have 3 separate servers {i.e. one for Thunderbird, one for GMail, and a third for Outlook}?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

They will not have email servers for each client progrem, but I suspect that you are talking about three different services there. On only one of them is your ISP acting as an email server. For the other two, your ISP is just providing connectivity to the internet, with the email servers being hosted by other organisations (goolgle for GMail and Microsoft for outlook.com).

Thunderbird is an email client program and may well be pointed at the ISPs email server, to collect email from the email account that comes bundled with the connection.

ISPs will frequently have many servers forming their email infrastructure, but apart from having different functions in the grand scheme of things, they the only split from a customer PoV will be between home user and business email.

x64

ps "Outlook" could also refer to an email client program that could collect email from your ISP email account. I was assuming that your use of Outlook refered to Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail) - the web based free email provider.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Your ISP has no way of knowing what email client you are using.

#4 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Thank you x64 and Queen-Evie ... as I thought, no multiple email servers and as usual TWC/RR Level 1's are next to useless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users