Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solid graphics card ? ideas

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ryan842

ryan842

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

hello

im looking at installing a dedicated graphics card in my custom built pc.

mainly use my computer just for general use, but i am a huge football fan and watch close to 10 games a week. on the weekends i am sometimes running 2-3 flash streams at once and my computer does lag a fair bit.

so all im really after is a solid graphics card preferably not too expensive as my computer was built on a budget. really just so i can watch multiple streams without having to worry about any lag.

my pc specs are as follows

amd a8 5600k apu

amd radeon hd 7560d

4gb ddr3 ram

64 bit windows 7

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:54 AM

Hi Ryan and welcome to the forum! The sort of lag you are experiencing with multiple streams is most likely not caused by the graphics card but the lack of ram. Running multiple flash streams does use a fair amount of ram but also, another possible cause is the APU being used at full load. You can open Task manager while having the multiple streams playing and check the ram usage and CPU load.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

Just to back this up I'd also have doubts about a graphics card helping with this problem at all.  Running Flash video's is not particularly intensive as far as the GPU is concerned.  A 4Gb memory upgrade will be more likely to help.  How about your internet connection?  Is this up to running multiple streams?

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

I'm also interested in knowing the internet connection, it is far more likely to be a bottle neck when doing multiple streams at the same time. Are you using multiple monitors? This might make a difference as well.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 ryan842

ryan842
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

i do run 2 monitors 1 a full hd 42in and and a smaller low res monitor, i dont think the internet is causing a bottleneck.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

Can you describe the lag a bit more, as in what is lagging?

The video card in question should easily handle 2 1080p streams, it seems more likely to be internet connection related...

A full 1080p stream depending on the codec and bit rate can easily use 3-5mbps connection by itself, Netflix recommends 7mbps for 1080p.

Also it may not be on your end, it could be the website you stream it from, I imagine many 1000's of people use the same website during game season. They may limit your bandwidth so all users can stream. The other thing is ISP's sometimes limit certain websites, Verizon has been caught limiting customers connections to Netflix.

Edited by zingo156, 07 August 2014 - 08:23 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 ryan842

ryan842
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

thanks a lot appreciate it.

the lag is more like the sound and commentary will continue to play but the video will pause and after a couple of seconds it will refresh and be in time with the sound again.

also another question, im modding a nintendo wii and have to extend the usb port. ive soldered 4 wires onto where the usb port is soldered to the mobo, to test the extension ive soldered a type a female port to the other end. the usb connection i have made isnt giving any power to the usb connection. whats the best way to use a multimeter and check for any shorts or is there any other problems you may know thats causing the problem.

thanks again

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

Assuming this is what you are doing: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/tBPk3nfX2WgVF1Os.large

Then you would touch the multimeter negative to the black ground and positive to the red. Set the multimeter to dc with a range of 0-20 volts. You should see 5 volts between the red/black wires. The others are for data so no need to test them. You can test the female end by using small enough pins on your multimeter to touch the leads, the outside 2 are the power leads ground and positive, the inside 2 are for data.

#9 ryan842

ryan842
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

will do when i get home, i am fairly confident i didnt short it anywhere and my soldering is top class. if i check and theres noting wrong would you suggest testing anything else

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

What are you trying to power with the connection? If you get power to the cord, I would suspect an issue with the device. Also how long is the extension?

#11 ryan842

ryan842
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

atm im just testing the connection by powering a 2.5in hdd, also have tested it with a usb stick but to no avail. will check with a multimeter when i get home.  

im aiming to mount a 2.5in hdd inside the wii it will be connected to a 2 Port USB 2.0 Printer Scanner Auto Sharing Switch Box, as far as i know the switch box will draw some power and not enable the hdd to work properly. would i be able to just solder on say 2 extra leads for just added power and solder to the mobo somewhere

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Extra leads to the same port will do no good, I have never combined leads from more than 1 usb port but in theory this could work to provide more power, older drives used y cables with 2 usb plugs to get extra power...

I have no idea what the maximum output for the wii usb port is. In general usb 2.0 has a max output somewhere around 0.5A or 500mili-amps. This is not enough to do much.

Edited by zingo156, 07 August 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#13 ryan842

ryan842
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

i was thinking making a y type cable 1 going with both data and power to 1 usb port the other just power and soldered to the other spare usb port. would this be okay.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

In theory it would, however I am not sure how those y-cables work for certain, I have never actually taken one apart or inspected the board where they connect to see if they are actually directly soldered together on the same circuit.

#15 ryan842

ryan842
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

i did actually buy a sata to usb adapter with a y attached. i opened it up and all the extra power port was just soldered directly to the usb port which supplied both data and power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users