Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UPDATING FROM XP TO VISTA

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 anamte3

anamte3

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

I have a Windows XP desktop and I am updating it to Windows Vista and i have like 6 options to choose from and would just like some suggestion on which one is the best. All options are same price through my college using Microsoft DreamSpark.

Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32/64-bit (English) - DreamSpark 
Microsoft Windows Vista Business with Service Pack 1 32/64-bit (English) - DreamSpark 
Microsoft Windows Vista Business with Service Pack 2 32-bit (English) - DreamSpark 
Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1 32/64-bit (Multilanguage) - DreamSpark 
Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 2 32-bit (Multilanguage) - DreamSpark 
Microsoft Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 32/64-bit ia64 (Multilanguage) - DreamSpark 

These are my options to choose from. Please any suggestions are welcome. Thank You!!!

Edited by anamte3, 06 August 2014 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:12 AM

DL and run the Vista upgrade advisor, here ... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=31870 .

Let us know what it says!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Choosing which version to go with depends on what you intend to use this computer for.  So it would help if you provide us with a little information regarding this.

It would also depend on what you intend to do in regards to upgrading the computer.  If you use the 32-bit version you will be limited to 3GB of RAM, where as you can install as much RAM the motherboard will support with the 64-bit version.

In order to help you, please post the make and model of this computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

This is just an old HP running windows XP. It's just a basic home computer for the kids and my fiancé to use. I don't need any thing that fancy for it. Just XP is so old it's beginning to crash a lot. I just need a simple update for it. Even tually were going to get a new one any way. I do know its a 32 bit and it is very slow and very limited on space since bit is old. When I do upgrad will it completely clean it and free up a lot of the space. I can't really download anything on it because the space is seriously just about gone. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

If there are no hardware problems a fresh installation of Windows will make a huge difference.  I know members and friends who do a fresh install on a regular basis just so the computer stays like new.

If you have the installation disc for the operating system and are considering a fresh installation I would suggest that you back up all of your important data to removable media, like an external hdd, flash drive/s, DVDs, etc.

Don't forget things like your addresses in your mail client address book (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc.), pictures, documents...

Once you have backed up all of your data you will benefit by using a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the entire hdd effectively leaving you with a clean slate.

What is the model of this HP?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Intel ® Pentium ® Microsoft windows XP Home Edition service pack 3. It's the service packs i dont really know alot about. I noticed that it has service packs 1 and 2 for vista. and mainly need to know what is the difference. 

#7 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

and just incase you need it. It's 4CPU  2.93 GHz 504 MB RAM

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Have you run the upgrade advisor yet?

If you haven't, you are putting cart in front of the horse.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

You'll also need to add your RAM sticks to a total of 2 GB for a more improved system performance.

Tekken

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

It would be a great help if you were to run the Seccy snapshot, this will answer a lot of questions.  It may provide us with enough information that we may be able to tell if it will be compatible with Vista.

A good example of what it can tell us is what the motherboard is.  With this we can look up the specifications to see the number of slots for RAM, more importantly we can find out if the RAM can be run in dual channel.  Dual channel will effectively make the RAM twice as fast.  But to run in dual channel you will need a pair of matched modules.  jhayz's suggestion of installing 2GB of RAM is good advice.  You can purchase two 1GB modules to achieve this and have the matched pair for running in dual channel.

#11 Blewvane

Blewvane

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

Maybe a bit late but here's my 2 cents. Vista 32bit won't run on 502MB RAM, you'll need at least 2GB and want 3.5. Or you could avoid Vista, it's a resource hog, and go straight to W7 with a RAM upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users