Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I just wreck my CPU cooler?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Boog33

Boog33

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

I just got my AMD CPU with cooler in the mail and I opened the pox to check it out. When I took out the CPU cooler, I accidentally put my thumb on the pre-applied thermal paste. I can see my thumb print, and I didn't smudge it at all. Is it ruined?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:42 AM

The heat sink is not ruined, no.  Thermal paste can be bought in a tube, and should be cleaned off from the HS and the CPU and re-applied if you ever have to remove and re-fit the heat sink.  Isopropyl alcohol is good for cleaning it up.  This stuff is pretty good compound and not excessively priced.  Some would say the pre-applied paste will now be contaminated with oils and skin cells or whatever from your thumb (any contaminants will reduce the efficiency of the join).  Personally I'm fussy and as I have tubes of thermal compound, I'd probably clean it off and use fresh anyway if I put a finger print in it.  I honestly doubt it would make a major difference if it was just lightly touched though.

Edited by jonuk76, 07 August 2014 - 05:45 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

Note I am guessing you will redo the paste, careful not to apply to much a pea sized dollop is all that is needed.  Too much can oz out and cause problems.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Boog33

Boog33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

The heat sink is not ruined, no.  Thermal paste can be bought in a tube, and should be cleaned off from the HS and the CPU and re-applied if you ever have to remove and re-fit the heat sink.  Isopropyl alcohol is good for cleaning it up.  This stuff is pretty good compound and not excessively priced.  Some would say the pre-applied paste will now be contaminated with oils and skin cells or whatever from your thumb (any contaminants will reduce the efficiency of the join).  Personally I'm fussy and as I have tubes of thermal compound, I'd probably clean it off and use fresh anyway if I put a finger print in it.  I honestly doubt it would make a major difference if it was just lightly touched though.

So is it really necessary I re-do it? I barely even touched it. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Necessary?  Is that the criterion? 

No...it's not necessary.  You can just attach everything and monitor your CPU temp to see if your temps are too high.  If they are, you then will have to undo the heatsink/fan and do what has been suggested here by others.  If temps are OK, then all is well.

Either way...you are not talking about a lot of time or money...the option recommended is proactive, the alternative is to be reactive.

Louis

#6 Boog33

Boog33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Necessary?  Is that the criterion? 

No...it's not necessary.  You can just attach everything and monitor your CPU temp to see if your temps are too high.  If they are, you then will have to undo the heatsink/fan and do what has been suggested here by others.  If temps are OK, then all is well.

Either way...you are not talking about a lot of time or money...the option recommended is proactive, the alternative is to be reactive.

Louis

How do you monitor your CPU temps? Is it with Speedfan?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

I don't like Speedfan...I don't think it's reliable.  Truth of the matter is that the only way to get temps that I consider accurate would be to go into the BIOS and use the CPU temp reflected there.

That said...there are any number of tools which can be used, including Speedfan.  I've tried a number of these tools and I find that I consider the data reflected by Speccy to be consistent enough that I can accept it at face value across a wide spectrum of different systems.

But that's just my opinion and won't necessarily match up with anyone else's.

Louis

#8 Boog33

Boog33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

I don't like Speedfan...I don't think it's reliable.  Truth of the matter is that the only way to get temps that I consider accurate would be to go into the BIOS and use the CPU temp reflected there.

That said...there are any number of tools which can be used, including Speedfan.  I've tried a number of these tools and I find that I consider the data reflected by Speccy to be consistent enough that I can accept it at face value across a wide spectrum of different systems.

But that's just my opinion and won't necessarily match up with anyone else's.

Louis

The CPU is at 50C idle (According to BIOS). What should I do?

Now it's 51

Edit: It jumped to 54 (still while idle)

Edited by Boog33, 14 August 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

There are other variables that also affect the temp of your cpu....What's the ambient temp in the room of this pc? Is the fan blowing down or up? (if it's blowing up then flip it to blow down into the heatsink)

Which AMD cpu is this? If this is a 130watt cpu then 50c isn't that bad, but a little high...if it's an 80 W cpu then there's a problem

#10 Boog33

Boog33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

There are other variables that also affect the temp of your cpu....What's the ambient temp in the room of this pc? Is the fan blowing down or up? (if it's blowing up then flip it to blow down into the heatsink)

Which AMD cpu is this? If this is a 130watt cpu then 50c isn't that bad, but a little high...if it's an 80 W cpu then there's a problem

It's 68 degress F in my room. By fan, do you mean CPU cooler or the case fan? Anyway, the fan was installed following the instructions, and there was pre-applied thermal paste so it would have been hard to mess up the direction.. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9ntBGX is the list of parts.

After setting everything up, idle is about 40 but gaming with Minecraft makes it go up to 70.

Sometimes while idle it jumps up to mid 60's. I was downloading Steam while that happens, but I don't know what that would have to do with the CPU. Just downloading, not installing.

Downloading steam, it got up to 76.

Edited by Boog33, 14 August 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#11 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

The max temp on that cpu should be 72.4c.

you'll need to re-apply some thermal paste and check the installation to make sure it seats on the cpu properly, Personally I would remove the motherboard from the case and re-install the heatsink that way

Info about your cpu according to your link:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series%20A10-7700K.html

Note: I wasn't sure if you had removed the fan from the heatsink, but it doesn't hurt to check the direction of the air flow into the heatsink

Edited by Joe C, 14 August 2014 - 08:50 PM.

#12 Boog33

Boog33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

The max temp on that cpu should be 72.4c.

you'll need to re-apply some thermal paste and check the installation to make sure it seats on the cpu properly, Personally I would remove the motherboard from the case and re-install the heatsink that way

Info about your cpu according to your link:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series%20A10-7700K.html

Note: I wasn't sure if you had removed the fan from the heatsink, but it doesn't hurt to check the direction of the air flow into the heatsink

Can I still use my PC while the thermal paste is shipping if I keep it below 70?

This is what I'm going to buy: http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-4-Carbon-Based-Thermal-Compound/dp/B0045JCFLY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1407407461&sr=8-4&keywords=mx2+thermal+paste

#13 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

I use the MX-4 myself and I'm happy with it

Here's a guide:

#14 Boog33

Boog33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

I use the MX-4 myself and I'm happy with it

Here's a guide:

I bought Antec Formula 7 Nano Diamond thermal compound and followed the instructions on the video. According to BIOS, it's still 50-51 Celsius while idle. Accoding to Speccy, it's jumping down to about 35-40 and then spiking back up approx. 10 degrees. The lowest it has gotten so far is 39 (According to Speccy)

Also, while this is happening, the fan is spinning at default, so maybe this in normal? Probably not.

Edit: Found this graph, and should I look into getting a different CPU cooler? Right now I'm using the stock fan...

Would turning the fan speeds up in the BIOS help?

Edited by Boog33, 15 August 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#15 Boog33

Boog33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

I'm going to start a new thread with just the "CPU temperature too high"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users