Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer shuts off by its self, possible electical problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Justsomerandomdude

Justsomerandomdude

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hello, Hope someone can help me out with this.

The computer of a friend of mine has recently started shutting off unexpectedly and by its self. Literally checking emails one minute, black screen, no power the next. I have tried searching for software problems (which is my specialty), but none seem to exist. I pulled the power cord of the computer from the strip, to find that the left side prong has some electrical bite marks, and the middle third prong is split in three at the tip. I tried putting on a cheater plug (the thing that turns three prongs into two), but that didn't help. The cord is completely detachable, and I have one almost if not exactly like it, with prongs in perfect condition.  Its a windows pc , 64 bit if i am not mistaken, all in one set up (no tower, just one big screen), has touch screen.

Do you think the prongs are the problem?

Do you think replacing the cord will work?

Could it be a different issue I am not aware of? if so, signs of said issue?

Thanks a lot in advance :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Its a windows pc , 64 bit if i am not mistaken, all in one set up (no tower, just one big screen), has touch screen.

Well a bit more info about the computer would prove helpful. Exact make & model number, & operating system??

Generally the first thing I would check is the power supply. It would not hurt to substitute a good power cord. Also the power strip. I've seen to many computers plugged into those inexpensive units. The computer should be plugged into a quality surge protector.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 kristiansp5

kristiansp5

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

I had the same problem about 3 days ago. I have one of those weird heatsinks that dosen't use any screws but you just push this handle fully down. You want to check that the heatsink is completely stuck to the CPU and not moving around with the gentlest of touches. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users